Stuff That Really 'Grinds My Gears...'

So, I’m not eligible for a grant from ModestNeeds.org because reasons:
“At Modest Needs, our mission is to assist low-income, working households that have experienced short-term financial emergencies. In order to apply for help from Modest Needs, then considered as a group, the adults in your household must be working the equivalent of a single full time job.”

IF THAT WAS THE CASE, I WOULDN’T BE APPLYING FOR HELP, HUR-DUR! And I don’t think they would make any exceptions.

I hate to do this, but does anyone have $30 lying around they could send to me via PayPal? I do have $52 coming to me from AAA as a refund on my membership with them that I paid for and cancelled because my brother got me a new membership that’s actually an upgrade; and I’m going to cash in my life insurance policy, but of course that’ll take time.

I AM SO SICK OF THIS.

(the same angel who helped me w/my electric bill and cat food and has helped waaaaaaaaay back in the past w/my musical stuff helped me out.)

7 Likes

My gears a currently being ground by a song with a catchy music, great refrain, but the rest of the lyrics are just dumb.

4 Likes

is it “Baby Shark”? :sunglasses:

6 Likes

You know, I thought about asking, and then realized I would be giving all of us the same earworm…but there’s always gotta be someone who goes ahead and ruins it for everyone!!

6 Likes

I have avoided that song so far…(as I opened up to being Baby Shark Rolled)

6 Likes

actually, i was wondering if there was a WORSE one out there, and was hoping that by mentioning it i would be helping, in a way.

6 Likes

THE SAME DAMN CORRIDOS my neighbor plays EVERY SINGLE WEEKEND for over a year? The guy has no imagination. I could try and get a playlist.

ETA: I probably should point out he drives a very late model car, so I know he could afford some new music for the bass setup in his trunk that he enjoys thumping in the wee hours of the night.

7 Likes

This format gives me heart eyes. :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::star_struck:

3 Likes

Idiots who shouldn’t have kids, but do anyway.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2019/11/22/baby-kept-vegan-diet-died-his-parents-have-been-charged-with-manslaughter/

3 Likes

My husband is being a weirdo about asking where a bar is. He saw it on twitter. One of his tweeps is from W. Texas, and the bar looks cool, and I want to go for our tenth anniversary, and he won’t ask.

I’m lame AF, and I know, but I want to enjoy myself after 12 hours on the road.

8 Likes

I get my WiFi through the Calyx Institute and a Franklin R850 router. Lately I’ve been forgetting to unplug the device every so often, and the battery has swollen so much the back won’t stay on. Such a terrific thing to find out at nearly midnight on a Saturday, huh?

Fortunately my model seems to be one that will run without a battery installed, and with a reboot/complete unplugging for a full minute, it seems to be running okay. But I have to figure out if/how to scrounge for a new battery. :imp: I’m guessing I’ll have to wait until Monday to speak to my customer service contact. Maybe they can point me toward something reliable, as I’m wary of trying my luck by buying something off Amazon.

GRRRRRRR.

8 Likes

We have store called Batteries Plus Bulbs nearby—a US chain. It’s nice to show up with a battery and have them match it. Anything like that nearby?

4 Likes

I don’t have one nearby, but I think there’s something similar about an hour’s drive away, in Novi. So that’s one option.

I’ve been thinking about it. I tend to keep the router powered on and plugged in 24/7, which isn’t good for batteries. And it’s running well enough without one, so I probably don’t need to rush to find a replacement right away. It’s nice to have a battery for traveling, but I don’t do that much (and most places these days offer wifi. Even my veterinarian’s place has wifi!)

5 Likes

Would Battery Warehouse on the east side of Van Dyke in Warren be closer? It’s just south of Stephens (aka 9-1/2 Mile Rd.) . Actually, I think that’s Center Line, lol.

4 Likes

I don’t think this is worse, but I’ve had “Oye Como Va” stuck in my head for about a week now.

Not that I’m complaining, however.

4 Likes

i can see how that could happen. i woke up with the chorus to this vintage song about atomic energy in my head (at about 24 seconds in), so… yeah.

5 Likes

Thank you! It’s a 40 minute drive instead of 50, so it’s something to consider. (And also @kxkvi for your suggestion.) My main worries are: my router is an older, discontinued model, which might make batteries hard to find; and I want to get a legit replacement (not a knockoff) at a decent price. But I’m less worried about it today than I was last night, since the router’s continuing to work plugged in.

(And yes, Santana isn’t the worst thing to have rolling around in one’s head for a week. :laughing: )

8 Likes

May I ask what your major cross streets are …well, I KNOW I can ask, but will you answer, lol?

4 Likes

The biggest intersection around is Springwells and I-75, I’m not too far from it. It’s Southwest Detroit, lots of small local businesses but no major chains around, except fast food or Rite-Aid and Family Dollar. :roll_eyes: So I’m used to a certain amount of driving to make major purchases, but I do try to stay somewhat local if I can.

ETA: I should check out the phone stores in my area. Boost Mobile or Metro PCS might have something I can use, so there’s another idea. :grinning:

3 Likes

I know exactly where that is. Vince’s is on Springwells, I believe, Italian place, really good.

I dated a guy who lived in Southgate, for a year. I love driving around Detroit, no matter where it is. And I do think a lot of phone stores have batteries, like duh, it makes sense. (the “like, duh” is aimed at the phone stores, btw)

There’s also one in Madison Heights, on John R, I’m guessing it’s near Oakland Mall, which is a straight shot up 75, it’s on/near the corner of 13, so not too far from the mall, but no direct freeway access to 13 Mile, which I’ve never understood. What, did they think it’s bad luck? Then they shoulda named it something else.

(to those who don’t know Detroit: The “Mile Roads” are supposed to be the distance they are from downtown Detroit, where Woodward begins at Jefferson Ave; the latter runs parallel to the Detroit River.)

4 Likes