Stuff That Really 'Grinds My Gears...'

That show was unrealistic, as it was highly improbable that any of those people would have met each other, let alone drank with each other, especially in the 1980s.

5 Likes

I’ll hold my breath till you get that job!!! :expressionless:

8 Likes

Don’t DO that!

8 Likes

Whoooooooooooooooosh ok

7 Likes

kimmy-schmidt-fingers-crossed

12 Likes

I’d say up until about 2006ish? That was the first time I had an inter-city commute. My first job in the 90’s was 15 minutes walk from my first apartment. I also had some days when I walked home from my second job (though it was farther, it was still walkable) and later I got a job in 2004 by walking down to the place to apply and interview and would sometimes walk there or back (though usually I took the bus, that was a long walk after a hard day’s work and not doable in bad weather).

After that, commuted an hour each way for years, then 30 minutes each way for a few years, now work from home and only have to commute a few times a year, but it’s a trip. I pack a bag and get an AirBnB when I have to go in to the office, usually stay for a few days and nights to make the commute worthwhile.

5 Likes

We’re blowers of the leaves!

We bring a ton of pain!

But there ain’t no leaves,

So we blast the air,

And blast a painful tune!

(Sorry I can’t get it to rhyme.)

4 Likes

When you go through the work of arranging the office potluck, volunteer to let others go first and stay back so the reception area (not your normal task) has coverage and no one bothers to come relieve you until lunch is over everyone else has had seconds and thirds and the food is all gone.

I am pissed off and hungry.

15 Likes

Okay. That deserves an email – or at least a planning point next pot luck. That is truly shitty and your co-workers workers owe you at least a couple of really nice lunches.

12 Likes

At a restaurant today, having post-yoga lunch with my friend, and the old man behind me stands up, looks at my friend (who is in the middle of a story) and says “Wow, that’s SOOOOOO interesting” in a rude way, and then moves… Dude, if you want it quiet, then don’t go to a well- known, generally busy diner!

11 Likes

Just like children, women are to be seen and not heard.

9 Likes

Thing is, it’s not the first time.

We’re supposed to rotate who stays behind at the start, then one of the earlier people comes and gets them.

I almost always come out after a couple of minutes to make sure everyone gets a shot, and try to remind people that so-and-so still needs to come.

But when it’s my turn to stay back, somehow everyone forgets. And then it’s “Oh, gee, Mal. Don’t remember seeing you there.”

Gee, ya think? Someone needs to keep this place running if anyone comes in or phones. We’re not allowed to just hang a sign up saying we’re closed.

Thinking about others isn’t that hard.

12 Likes

Do what I do. Bring a dish of food that tastes like food, especially if this group is bland white midwesterners who like bland white midwestern food. Then, they’ll all hard pass on it and you’ll get a bowl of tasty tasty food all to yourself.

3 Likes

This confuses and irritates me. People who want it library quiet every time they go out are a peculiar bunch, I guess. But if they’re going to be like that, why would they

1. Blame the other person for their own sensitivities, and
  2. Cause a scene that they would think is completely unacceptable if it came from literally anyone else?

I’m sensitive to noise but at least I have the sense to bring headphones and earplugs.

7 Likes

8 Likes

I work largely with first or second generation Asian people (South and East). That would not work.

6 Likes

Ah.

Bring glorified rice, Watergate salad, or tuna noodle casserole. Confuse the hell out of them. Keep em guessing.

3 Likes

If it’s a diner, ear plugs and ear protectors are not enough protection to get through the door, without getting knocked down by the wall of pain.

Does the front desk need to be attended every moment, or could you walk back and just tell someone they need to take care of the desk?

3 Likes

Even if that’s true, don’t add to the madness by throwing a big huge conniption in front of everyfuckingbody.