Stuff That Really 'Grinds My Gears...'

I did the front myself, and didn’t hurt myself. I wore my wrist braces. BUT, I did accidentally bang my shin fairly hard (like, it still hurts and this was three hours ago, though not as it did when it happened) on our new wheeled yard-waste container.

So I called into work & rescheduled my shift for next week Thursday. I didn’t mind the work environment until recently. Women are in charge now, and they aren’t qualified women, either. And one of them is trans, and she seems to think it’s appropriate to discuss personal-bordering-on-intimate things in her life (like, how the sheets in her & her gf’s bed get sweaty. NOT how, just that they do for whatever reason). I don’t care who the fuck you are, that shit doesn’t belong on the office floor.

10 Likes

No one ever reads the documentation. :cry:

As someone who’s written my fair share of really pretty good – maybe even bordering on great (if I may say so myself) – technical documentation, you have my deepest sympathies.

:point_up: So much this.

It was the kind of experience, for me, that made me truly, viscerally, understand the meaning of the phrase “throwing pearls before swine.” Although I imagine it has to sting a bit more when it’s a student/teacher dynamic.

11 Likes

Totally different situation I’m sure, but it absolutely does at my company.

We’re distributed and occasionally meet up for a few days or a week, in hotels or cabins or airbnbs with shared rooms. We have morning people and night owls, light sleepers that wake up at any sound and deep sleepers who will never hear an alarm and need someone to wake them. We have people who thrash, talk, snore, and/or sweat wildly in their sleep. We have nude sleepers, underwear sleepers, occasional sleepwalkers, and people who will just fall asleep on the couch or something instead of going to their room.

In the interest of accommodating all that diversity as well as possible, we talk openly about it in order to try to allocate rooms appropriately. (Still it doesn’t always work out so we have some funny stories.) But even for a typical job, I could see sleep conditions being a topic of casual conversation. It’s half a person’s life outside of work.

12 Likes

Not when it’s kind of…I don’t know if it’s her tone or what, but it sounds suggestive. And she’s the only one discussing it, I don’t overhear (and I’m not trying to eavesdrop, I’m an unwilling sponge at times.) others talking about how sweaty they and their partners’ sheets get.

I work at a place where we take surveys over the phone.

10 Likes

I feel ya, but with history…Sorry.

7 Likes

Getting hit by the ringer, answering the pain, and getting an extra-loud and extra-painful spam. Sometimes it starts with a nail to the ear VERY LOUD BEEP. Sometimes it is just “THIS IS AN IMPORTANT MESSAGE ABOUT YOUR CURRENT CREDIT CARD ACCOUNT.”

Web searches yielding results which lack the search terms.

Web searches yielding Nazi propaganda about how Lenin was Jewish…

4 Likes

As far as I can find, he was from a family of Russian serfs, not of Jewish extraction… But of course it’s entirely irrelevant if he was Jewish, as that only means something for the antisemitic…

9 Likes

Lenin was ethnically both Jewish and Muslim, but I’m not sure who would make a big deal about it except neo nazis.

7 Likes

Okay. Did he practice either faith?

4 Likes

No.

Exactly.

4 Likes

I don’t understand what I said that is wrong.

3 Likes

Nothing you said was wrong. Sorry for being confusing.

4 Likes

That thread in TOP about the Chinese parents who were overcharged in Operation Varsity Blues is grinding my gears. Some of the racism on display there is astounding. The folks rebutting that crap have the patience of saints… I think if I replied, I’d be banned by the end of the day.

8 Likes

I have had this whole weekend basically to myself to “Get Shit Done!” and between the weather being shit yesterday (Yes, please, I’ll have a blizzard and 4" of snow at the end of APRIL) and having bad brain days, I’ll be lucky to get a fourth of what I needed to get done and almost none of what I wanted to work on.

I did manage to watch 3 seasons of BoJack Horsemanthough, so I got that going for me.

15 Likes

My gears aren’t really even ground. I just found myself in another deadline apocalypse. Manuscript revisions, another MS due in a month, needing to get on a coworker about a different one, grant due next week, phone interviews for a new faculty member this week. I’m just tired.

13 Likes

People who think they know more about medicine than experts.

Bijal D. Shah, who leads Tampa’s Moffitt Cancer Center’s acute lymphoblastic leukemia program, told the Tampa Bay Times that the treatment has been remarkably successful, with a cure rate of 90 percent — but that it can require two-and-a-half years of chemotherapy. Stopping the treatment early, he said, means the cancer will almost always come back.

8 Likes

and

Fuck these idiot anti-vaxxers. As someone who’s immunosuppressed, I worry about going to fucking restaurants now.

14 Likes

Yup. The only silver lining I see here is the epidemics started relatively quickly. Still doesn’t justify the suffering of course.

9 Likes

I wonder if there are any deaths yet. And can we charge people who spread the lies with murder.

7 Likes

It sounds like the latter might be a cruise for Scientologists:

According to the Church’s website, the 440-foot vessel hosts religious retreats “ministering the most advanced level of spiritual counseling in the Scientology religion.”

8 Likes