Stuff That Really 'Grinds My Gears...'

I was banging out a quick PowerShell script and I have another PowerShell script that converts it to an .EXE.

Seemed to work fine

Built the exe and tried it on my test machine.

Error.

Quick fix. Build. Test. Error.

Repeat several times before I finally realize that I was updating D:\script\test.ps1 but kept building D:\script\test\test.ps1.

Doh!

10 Likes

Thank you. Iā€™ve always been super-embarrassed when I do stuff like that, so itā€™s always good to hear when someone way more technical than me does it.

9 Likes

My mother is always trying to be helpful.

Often, it turns out to be quite the opposite. When I leave a chore undone, itā€™s generally because I have plans to do it a specific way at a specific time. However, she takes it as permission to do the chore herself, and generally makes it so that I have to do more work to fix it.

For example, she brought shredded paper for me to dispose of a few weeks back, because she doesnā€™t have a good way to dispose of it where she lives. I hadnā€™t had to put out paper garbage since then, so it was still sitting in my garage.

I go to get my garbage ready to put it tomorrow, and the bag of shredding is gone. I shrug and try to put the compost outā€¦ And the bin is half-fill of shredded paper.

This wouldnā€™t be so bad, except that shredded paper was considered compostable in the last place I live. Here, as Iā€™ve said, itā€™s considered paper recycling.

So I had to scoop shredded paper out of my compost bin and put it into the correct disposal box.

Every time she comes here, she does something like this. Why canā€™t she just leave well enough alone?

12 Likes

Is it possible we were separated at birth?

My mum has this compulsive clean-up mode, and if youā€™re not doing it her way, youā€™re doing it wrong. I remember when my brother moved out and got his own place, he called me the first night because heā€™d set the book he was reading on a table, gotten up to use the washroom, gone to the kitchen to get a drink, and when he returned to the living room, the book was still there. At home weā€™d have to tuck it away somewhere or else risk having it tucked away without our knowledge. Thereā€™s no point in asking where it was put, because our mum will deny having ever touched it.

She really doesnā€™t remember either. She just does it automatically. Itā€™s not really tidying because although sheā€™s very organised, anything categorised as ā€œotherā€ just gets hidden away.

It seems your mum is doing something similar, where things MUST BE PUT AWAY at all costs. Even when itā€™s the wrong place. Even when the task has already been delegated.

I donā€™t know exactly what they taught in home ec in the 50s and 60s, but it wasnā€™t totally healthy.

14 Likes

My brother-in-law (who lives with us) will do this shit when he decides to clean.

As long as if it Off The Counter, it is put away.

Fuck all if he knows where he put it, but the Kitchen is Clean!

12 Likes

2 Likes

Explanation and/or context? Is it Sullivan Tire that grinds your gears?

6 Likes

Nope. Itā€™s the ā€œNEW HOŹEā€ part that does. They had a W and an M, yet they flipped the M to make a W and flipped the W to make an M.

*[twitches violently] *

13 Likes

I thought I felt a disturbance in the force.

8 Likes

I couldnā€™t see it either, but now that youā€™ve explained, I canā€™t NOT see it.

12 Likes

When I first learned a (very) little bit about typography I suddenly started seeing bad keming everywhere. Text elements that I previously wouldnā€™t have noticed at all now stood out like a neon sign.

It must be a certain kind of hell to be a professional graphic designer.

11 Likes
12 Likes

Well, yes, but only when you work for someone with no imagination.

7 Likes

I just meant in the sense that you probably see things that grate on your nerves that no one else even notices. I hadnā€™t even thought about your bosses/clients. :laughing:

7 Likes

My wife has done a lot of copy-editing of manuscripts for friends in our writersā€™ group, and she gripes about professionally published books sheā€™s reading with typos. I guess it comes with the territory.

9 Likes

it is, but really, but iā€™m sure every job has its petit morts.

ff6_revisions

15 Likes

Thatā€™sā€¦ pretty much my entire professional career.

9 Likes
8 Likes

me too. every day.

8 Likes

This may not be ā€œGear Grindingā€ but it is ā€œSprocket Rustingā€

Iā€™ve had enough rain, thankyouverymuch.

Had I wanted this, Iā€™d have moved to Portland 20 years ago when the opportunity was there.

11 Likes