The Arrivals Lounge

Some posts?

Welcome back. I don’t think I was here yet when you were here the first time. But I recall you from TOP.

8 Likes

Welcome Back.

Welcome back, your obsessions were your ticket out
Welcome back, to that same old place that you laughed about
Well the names haven’t all changed since you hung around
But those dreams have remained and they’ve turned around
Who’d have thought they’d lead ya
(Who’d have thought they’d lead ya)
Back here where we need ya
(Back here where we need ya)
Yeah we tease you a lot 'cause we got you on the spot
Welcome back, welcome back, welcome back, welcome back
Welcome back, welcome back, welcome back

19 Likes

Also, TOP = That Other Place. You may have missed that.

6 Likes

Yes, that’s what I meant. Is there another meaning? (Answer: there always is!)

3 Likes

Nah, I’m down with the hip new lingo.

4 Likes

giphy-downsized (3)

7 Likes

Wait a minute, this place is tropical?

Never mind then, I’m out.

(j/k, thanks for the welcome!)

6 Likes

It is if you want it to be.

7 Likes

Google tells me I’m 1.3521° N, 103.8198° E so I’m going to say yes, but your mileage may vary.

Welcome back:)

6 Likes

Null Island is directly on the equator, so…

5 Likes

I’m sure we can offer you a more temperate welcome, if that’s what you prefer!

8 Likes

Welcome back! You’ve been missed.

As for the game, we had a big of a segue wherein characters of the people who dropped out were left behind and some new characters joined on, we had a significant encounter that made us all question our responses to threats, and we traveled to a mysterious new city where adventure awaits. Since then, we’ve kind of stalled out a bit. But the game lives! (Even if it’s a bit dozy at the moment.)

How have you been? What sort of adventures have you been up to?

7 Likes

Just for clarification if it’s needed, I’ve renamed myself with the assistance of the management. I decided it was time to start tidying up my www presence. Voyna i mor* is my nick on The Register, which is my main site for commentarding, and a few other places, so I’ve gone for the closest approximation here.
I’m not going to change things on boingboing because I think I’m likely to die out slowly there.

…the poster formerly known as Enkita.

*It’s a kind of joke. Pushkin described the history of Russia as “Voyna i mor” - war and plague. Tolstory changed this to “Voyna y mir” - war and peace. I have interests in military history, and medicine. And I learn Russian for this reason; I’m quite severely deaf and totally nonmusical, but there seems to be evidence that learning music does something to stave off dementia. I suspect that it doesn’t have to be music but learning something with a structure and a different symbol set from the usual numbers and letters. Russian fulfils that. I would have preferred Hebrew, but there was no local teacher available.

10 Likes

Thanks for the clarification.

Just out of curiosity, what did Enkita mean?

1 Like

Variant of Enkidu, no?

3 Likes

A toast to cold-weather friends. May you be cool on a warm day and warm on a cold one. Cheers everyone.

8 Likes

Enkita is the friend of Gilgamesh, the “wild man”. He was created from clay and saliva by a goddess to cure Gilgamesh of his arrogance.
And Figures of Earth, by James Branch Cabell, is one of my favourite books.

(It isn’t a reason, of course, for choosing it. That was because I have a weird sense of humour.)

3 Likes

So it is a variant of Enkidu?

3 Likes

https://www.kabalarians.com/f/Enkita.htm

2 Likes

Yes, sorry, did I need to mention that?

So, even more inappropriate than you might have previously thought.

3 Likes