The Arrivals Lounge

Thanks for the clarification.

Just out of curiosity, what did Enkita mean?

1 Like

Variant of Enkidu, no?

3 Likes

A toast to cold-weather friends. May you be cool on a warm day and warm on a cold one. Cheers everyone.

8 Likes

Enkita is the friend of Gilgamesh, the ā€œwild manā€. He was created from clay and saliva by a goddess to cure Gilgamesh of his arrogance.
And Figures of Earth, by James Branch Cabell, is one of my favourite books.

(It isnā€™t a reason, of course, for choosing it. That was because I have a weird sense of humour.)

3 Likes

So it is a variant of Enkidu?

3 Likes

https://www.kabalarians.com/f/Enkita.htm

2 Likes

Yes, sorry, did I need to mention that?

So, even more inappropriate than you might have previously thought.

3 Likes

I have weird gaps in my knowledge, so maybe? I mean, I didnā€™t pick up on it earlier.

3 Likes

@PatRx2 mentioned it above.

4 Likes

I saw Sam
52 PM

for the first time since forever on the other place yesterday so I said hi. In his hi back, he said

I miss you mutants, should hang out on bbs more often

Sounds like heā€™s (understandably) busy, but has anyone invited him here? There wouldnā€™t be any politics involved with inviting him, right?

I know Rob had joined (briefly) so I assumed the Other staff was aware but Sam is from Discourse. He was pretty active with us for a while but it was before the lounge was a big thing IIRC.

15 Likes

I can only speak for myself, but Iā€™m good with inviting him.

12 Likes

Iā€™m fine with it too. Good idea, I think.

I doubt thereā€™s any stress about that at all. Some things changed at BB, we adapted to make sure weā€™re still OK even with the change, it was a giant disturbance in the force at the time but now I think most everybody is getting most of what they wanted.

I doubt Rob kept anything to himself (and I donā€™t think he had reason to), so like you said itā€™s no secret. Also, what we did is completely in line with theories of community Cory himself used in Walkaway.

17 Likes

so, 24hrs later its all ā€œayesā€ and no ā€œnays.ā€ I linked him, explaining that this is like the new lounge.

14 Likes

I just spotted Modus in the comments on an AV Club article. Has he been invited already, or should I see if Kinja will let me shoot them a PM invitation?

Edited to add: yeah, not seeing an easy way to do that yet, but I donā€™t use Kinja all that much and itā€™s tricksy at best. Maybe itā€™s because I use a burner account? :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: Kinjaā€¦

11 Likes

Ah, goos olā€™ MO.

Kinja doesnt do private messaginf, like, at all. So no worries, just shoot an invite at 'em (by replying to their latest comment, natch)

8 Likes

Isnā€™t that going to put us out there for everyone to see? (Well, maybe not everyone, 'cuz Iā€™m in the grays, but still.) Thereā€™s been some pretty strong troll activity on the Gizmodo site network lately. I do want to invite Modus but I donā€™t want to invite trolls along with him.

9 Likes

Yup. Jormi/loaf has really done a number on the regulars there.

3 Likes

Thatā€™s exactly who I meant. Iā€™ve been flagging them like mad over there, but the minute one username goes down, another username pops up. Iā€™d imagine it would be harder for them to spoof user accounts here, but I still donā€™t want that person and their trash talk anywhere near the CafĆ©.

If any Kinja ninjas have ideas on how to invite MO, Iā€™m all ears. Or if you think itā€™s worth the risk to post the URL, Iā€™ll go ahead and do it.

4 Likes

On the board tell him to check his messages at bb and pm him there.

9 Likes

Ooooooh, thatā€™s brilliantā€¦ and done! Thank you! :heart_eyes:

9 Likes