The Arrivals Lounge

Yeah, I know… I eventually figured that out. But I liked the old emphasis on using the actual categories for categorization (like “Joy,” for instance, the category we’re in now), and threads for more specificity, like what we’re talking about today. I mean, we have 41 threads that have received comment in the last fortnight, in eight categories (although mostly in just four: Joy, Politics, News, and Culture). I’ve thought that maybe there should be more “channels,” as it were, and fewer all-encompassing “shows.” More categories, more threads with a bit more specificity. I dunno, that would certainly be possible; nobody’s stopping me from making all the hyperspecific threads I want. But people here just seem to like adding on to existing conversations rather than starting new ones. Which, y’know, totally fine, that’s just the way everyone goes here. But I think it does contribute to a bit of insularity. Anyway, whatever. I tried to make this point years ago; I have no new insights or solutions.

5 Likes

I’m toying with a bit of a hybrid approach. I’m trying to create more new threads, and then link them to existing threads where appropriate. It’s tricky, though. Some threads, like the Twitter one, seem more well-suited as a catch-all for some topics that have a shared history in general. I’m about to post about more layoffs, for example. I’m not sure that there’s more discussion to be had about that, but I think it adds to the existing one nicely. It’s always a judgement call, obviously. I think it could be useful for certain categories to have threads that auto-expire as well, but I don’t think that would fit for all cases.

5 Likes

That was also due to JLW’s tendency to abuse his authority; him I would not welcome with open arms.

And ain’t it nice?

Also I’d throw a “mostly” in front of the words ‘drama free’; every rare blue moon or so there’s some internal friction or the occasional head-butting… but that’s just par for the course when dealing with others.

For the most part, Elsewhere does really well keeping a chill vibe.

Hey, Mr. Peterson; It seems like it’s been ages!

11 Likes

I just want to apologize to everyone for my toxic outburst a few days ago. It was totally inappropriate and I’m sure it made everyone uncomfortable.

7 Likes

I wasn’t made uncomfortable; I was a bit confused (I haven’t been to BB in ages) because it was so unseemly.

But you’re human, like the rest of us (or so I presume… tee hee!), so life goes on.

7 Likes

Welcome @Spencer_Markham! It seems you found us via the cloud(s). Please feel free to check out our many other fine conversations, and maybe even start some of your own.

8 Likes

We have some new folks around since June or so: @womanhood_deferred, @kii, @malarkey and @annaphylaxis. Welcome all!

(If I missed any of you, just slap me.)

19 Likes

what up, @kii !

13 Likes

Hi everyone :hugs: Thank you for the warm welcome

18 Likes

Hey, nice joint.

Mine’s a Jamaican Cabdriver, please: equal parts coconut rum and orange juice with a bit of lime juice. Thanks.

20 Likes

Hello everyone, thanks for being so welcoming.

17 Likes

Hi y’all.

Here for the fun, the comradery, the insights, and the friends I see already in this thread.

Peace from ATX.

18 Likes

Welcome! It’s amazing so many people have joined recently. Great minds think alike.

13 Likes

Hi everyone! Thanks for the welcome, nice to be here! I’m AnnaTheWeird on BB, but AnnaPhylaxis everywhere else so I went with that here too.

18 Likes

Hi everyone, it’s zfirphdn from the…um…other place…

:wave: :smiley:

15 Likes

It’s a

PARTY.

18 Likes

I don’t party much these days, but the zebra looks fun.

14 Likes

I :heart_eyes_cat: this gif so much!

14 Likes

Indeed! And best of all, no one has to clean up where they’ve been!

Same! I was beside myself when I found it, and not in typical Gemini fashion :gemini: :crazy_face:

12 Likes

Hi there!
I’m here on the recommendation of other mutants. (I’m Marence just about everywhere).
I’ll probably lurk some, but I have (self)limited time in cyberspace. I’m happy to be at what seems like a better place for socializing.

20 Likes