The De-Nazification of America

5 Likes

His face looks like it was restored by that lady in Spain who did the Jesus portrait:

5 Likes

funny how people with a certain aesthetic need it so badly but never learn to art or even to listen to artists

3 Likes

The comments in this twitter thread are wonderful.

The “sculptor” was a lawyer:

And here’s some more about him and a different sculpture he made:

Kershaw later defended the statue by saying, “Somebody needs to say a good word for slavery.”

3 Likes

I don’t like his purported meaning of the word “good”.

1 Like

A good word for slavery is: evil.

There, somebody said a good word about the subject.

5 Likes

I can think of a few others.
good riddance…
good for nothing…
good bye…
good grief…
no good…

6 Likes
1 Like

Full headline is “The Three White Men Who Chased And Killed Ahmaud Arbery Were Sentenced To Life In Prison”

I thought about putting this in the Worldwide Hope thread, but this doesn’t seem hopeful, quite so much as it’s literally the least we could do, as a society.

4 Likes

With or without chances of parole? Because if they get paroled, that can go in the Nazification of America thread.

Addendum: Two of them have no chance for parole. I don’t know which ones, though, 'cos it’s WaPo and they have a paywall.

1 Like

Father and son have no chance for parole.

3 Likes

An’ they’re all gonna appeal, I think.

I’m not a Bible reader, but didn’t someone’s God say that the killing of another human being is wrong, wrong wrong? What I am I fucking missing here?

1 Like

“They were fully committed to their crimes. Let them be fully committed for their consequences” - Ahmaud Arbery’s mom

There’s still another federal trial next month for hate crimes and kidnapping, they could get another life sentence added on top.

5 Likes
1 Like

7 years seems too short, but so long as they’re off the streets…

3 Likes

an earlier report said

Cole is scheduled for sentencing in January. The charge of interference with a federally protected activity can carry a sentence of up to 10 years in prison, while the charges of conspiracy and mailing a threatening communication are punishable by up to five years each.

1 Like

Ugh. Used to walk there practically every night. There was a group of low rider enthusiasts who’d drive slowly through the park with giant stars and bars waving off the back. Super intimidating.

They also featured that carving as the centerpiece of their 4th of July laser light show, with Proud to Be an American blaring over the speakers as they “brought the sculpture to life” vis lasers that would make it look like the horses were galloping.

And nearly 30 years later they are still exploring ideas for how to not lick the Klan’s ass.

2 Likes
4 Likes
5 Likes

Perpetual covenants are just stupid. Once someone owns a property, they should be free to revoke any covenants set by former owners.

That said, our house came with an amusing clause. We are allowed to own large flightless birds. Ostriches, emus, or rheas. Because a former owner petitioned the town and there were no explicit laws against it, so they just kinda shrugged and said ok. We’re known as ‘the emu house’ even though it wasn’t an emu. It was Pizza Rhea that used to live here. And yes, that was his/her name ‘Pizza’, the rhea.

Thankfully, that’s not the least bit racist and I have no intention of ever contesting it or removing it from the property’s legal allowances. I don’t even know how I’d react to old racist covenants. It wouldn’t be pretty though.

9 Likes