The Nazification of America

4 Likes
4 Likes
3 Likes

Last night, as the Capitol Limited twisted along the Potomac I sat across from a couple of men while eating an Amtrak sandwich.

One was in his 50s, the other was born “in 96” and was traveling with his daughter. They both exuded the personality of “outer-ring suburbs.”

I overheard parts of their conversation. They talked about a variety of subjects, such as camping, model trains and family members.

Then the older guy said “I wonder that Amtrak doesn’t have police on these trains.” And then something about “the protesters.” The younger man seemed supportive of his way of thinking. Their conversation became quieter at this point. I could only gather they thought the students sitting-in at college campuses were going to somehow take-over the train.

The subject then turned to the general subject of personal security. The younger man said he had “my CCW,” so he “always had something with me.”

I had to look up the exact meaning of CCW, but I could guess what it was. I assume he didn’t have his gun on the train.

There is something about suburbia that makes people afraid of their own shadow.

3 Likes

Do not assume that. Especially as there is less security to get on a train than to get on a plane.

5 Likes

Rural and big-small-towns too. There are people ‘round here who won’t go to Walmart in the regional (hee hee) “metropolis” unarmed, just in case. Places I don’t feel particularly on guard in, just in public. It must suck to be afraid all the time.

5 Likes

I can completely understand it. People move to the suburbs to escape big city crime, but end up with a house surrounded by impenetrably dark shadows every night.

I left NY and moved into my parents’ Minnetonka basement in late 2011. Suddenly, to see someone out walking after the sun went down became very strange and intimidating. I was surprised how quickly this mentality came on. In the Spring of 2012, while driving down Lake Street one sunny day, I saw a young African-American man walking on the sidewalk. An unusual sight in Minnetonka. My brain immediately flashed “what’s he doing there?” And then I said to myself, “what has happened to you? It’s thoughts like that that made you decide to leave the Mid-West in the first place.”

6 Likes

It never ceases to amuse me how many people are just plain terrified of living in a society.

In my experience, there are two groups. One that is evil and dangerous, and just naturally projecting their own thoughts onto others and assuming everyone else is evil like them. The other has just watched or listened to too many true crime shows, and have decided to play the role of victim. They’re just as dangerous as the first group, albeit for different reasons.

I do my best to distance myself from both groups. I don’t want that negativity in my life.

Just being open to talking to people respectfully and friendly-ish, and accepting other people as they are, not bothering people who don’t want to be bothered, that goes a long way.

It’s really simple, basic kindergarten stuff, and plenty for no fear. But there are so many people who just don’t understand those very basic ideas.

And they probably don’t know that they themselves are the people to be afraid of.

3 Likes

:thinking:

3 Likes
1 Like
3 Likes
3 Likes
3 Likes
4 Likes

I have so much fucking respect for Father Ed Trevors. He, to me, is a near-perfect example of a clergyman -and he’s married and has kids (which may have all lot to do w/HIS happiness, lol)!

1 Like
1 Like

This is a new one to me.

2 Likes

And me!

2 Likes
2 Likes

You look so punk in this video… :sparkling_heart:

But of course, the answer is that men are seeking to control women, and one of the ways in which they can do that is by tying us down with children (rather than being active participants in raising children with us to become successful adults)…