The Nazification of America

I’m part beatnik, part hippie, part punk, with a li’l domestic goddess mixed in. :smiley:

Yep, it’s all about command, control, and cruelty.

1 Like

It’s not the solution they make it out to be, so this is not good news.

2 Likes

“It’s a step over and beyond just going to jail and getting out.”

She hopes the legislation will serve as a deterrent.

The thing that gets me is, people already know that that kind of accusation, let alone conviction, will absolutely ruin your life and follow you in everywhere you go and everything you do. There is no “just” going to jail and getting out. And, yet, it still happens, because people aren’t thinking about that when it happens.

Adding more “consequences” on top, especially permanent surgical ones, does not add a deterrent. It’s just an attempt to pile more punishment on. And if you’re going to commit to irreversibly punishing someone for the rest of their life regardless of anything else, you might as well be upfront about it and make it a life in prison or a death sentence.

2 Likes

Speaker Johnson appoints two Trump allies to House Intelligence Committee | AP News

1 Like

But more than that, it doesn’t work, because it’s not actually a sexual problem. Castrated ex-cons have used physical objects instead. The crime is wanting to have power and terrorize someone, not sexual release.

5 Likes

Good point.

What a cunt.

I still think it started when the GOP started sleeping with the fundie Christians.

4 Likes
3 Likes

So it passed. Damn.

The Christian Right really doesn’t get the separation of church and state, do they? Maybe they should go to Vatican City…oh wait, it’s filled with Roman Catholics!

And as we all know, Mike Johnson is from that state, same one that produced David Duke.

Why does New Orleans have to be in such a shittily-run state?

5 Likes

“If you want to respect the rule of law,” he said, “you’ve got to start from the original law giver, which was Moses.”

I’m always amazed at these people who somehow claim that the 10 commandments are “the basis for western law” and so forth. I’ve actually had an argument with my dad once when he was claiming that exact thing.

As far as I’m concerned, the commandments fall into three baskets:

1. Things that make you go “Duh”. No killing, no stealing… it’s obvious that these things are bad when they’re done to you, but it’s also really difficult to say that without also saying they’re bad when done to other people. No need for supernatural tablets to pass these on as morals, and they’ve existed well before the 10 commandments in other civilization’s codes.
  2. Things that make you go “Meh”. Honor thy father and mother, not bearing false witness… things that might be bad, but in most cases they aren’t even important enough to encode into law.
  3. Things that make you go 1st amendment violation. No other gods, the sabbath, etc.

And it’s really telling that the very first one is very clearly a 1st Amendment violation.

4 Likes

… pauxpulism? :thinking:

3 Likes

So is he suggesting that Moses had a time machine and went back in time to teach laws to the ancient Mesopotamians? Or is he suggesting that the ancient Mesopotamian rulers are all people from the future with time machines who traveled back there to become kings?

Either way, I certainly don’t think our modern laws should be based on a foundation of some wacky conspiracy theory about ancient time travel.

4 Likes

Apparently a lot of “biblical scholars” are all too eager to claim, based on the flimsiest of evidence, that Moses either predated Hammurabi, or that Abraham gave law to Hammurabi. Naturally, it rests on taking everything in the Bible as being literal fact while also brushing aside and discounting any and all other records that might contradict the story, plus a hefty dose of “well, this could be what happened…”.

5 Likes

I couldn’t think of a better category in which to file this.

While I was walking to the grocery store this evening, I heard the amplified sounds of some neighborhood party coming from here. On a small stage three middle-aged guys with guitars were entertaining the crowd. Balding men in sweatshirts and jeans, who’s dreams of a rock career had faded decades ago. Every neighborhood has a few of them.

As soon as I came in earshot they started a new song. “Me and Julio Down by the Schoolyard.” I thought “well that’s a surprising choice for this area.”

You see, as soon as you cross 4th Avenue, the political outlook becomes distinctly regressive. And despite Paul Simon’s rigorously ambiguous lyrics, there is a common belief that the song touches on very concrete lgbtqia2s+ themes.

Could they possibly be having a pride rally? Here?

Quite soon they came to the offending line, and sang

:notes: “Goodbye, Roooosie, I’m drinkin’ a Corona!” :notes:

So, there you go. Homophobic censorship worthy of Florida.

3 Likes

Just had this pop up in my feed, which raises another question about the commandments… several years ago, Louisiana tried to make their state book the Bible, but ran into problems with the question of “which Bible?” So it’s surprising that “which commandments” hasn’t been an issue.

2 Likes
3 Likes
2 Likes

Tractor Supply Company, which bills itself as the largest rural lifestyle retailer in the U.S., will eliminate its diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI) roles, withdraw its carbon emissions goals and stop sponsoring Pride events in response to criticism from conservative activists.

He wrote on June 6 that it was “time to expose Tractor Supply,” which he said was one of conservatives’ most beloved brands but was at odds with their values. He pointed to its DEI hiring practices, in-office Pride Month decorations, climate change activism and “funding sex changes,” among other complaints.