The Pets Thread

when I was a kid, my neighbor’s shepherd mix Sunshine loved to devour watermelon rinds ¯\ __(ツ) _ /¯

6 Likes

Dogs will eat dang near any human food once. Cats, though, don’t normally Hoover up lettuce every chance they get.

She was an odd kitteh, purr machine until the second she died, and the best mouser I’ll ever have. It’s been 5 years since she passed, but I still miss her every day.

11 Likes

i once had a tortie who loved tofu, broccoli, carrot… but usually only from my ramen. so maybe it was just a salty broth thing. but she’d eat it and want more.

5 Likes

The interesting thing between Tasha and Ruby is they go nuts for the one thing. Tasha, kettle-style chips. Ruby, yogurt. However, when I test the opposite, I’m met with complete indifference.

ETA: I’m still trying to capture a photo of how Tasha’s eyes go wide when she catches a whiff of potato chips.

8 Likes

I posted her but neglected to announce her! We got a 3rd dog in August for my bday!

May I present Lady Pippa Mouse of House Mormont!

24 Likes

My cat ignores human food. Except for miso. Other broths, he couldn’t care less, but I have to guard my miso.

10 Likes

Lady Pippa is GORGEOUS!

8 Likes

You think railroads in the US are bad?

7 Likes

Manny and George, a story in three photos.

Shortly after the third photo, I woke up. Luckily someone was there to document.

16 Likes

Tabitha and Lucy. They are BFFs.

17 Likes

So. Much. Cute.

7 Likes

i love it when adult cats cuddle like they are kittens. ours do it from time to time, and i never tire of it :heart_eyes_cat:

10 Likes

I loves torties. Such a cute picture! None of our four cats do that; they’re all wary of each other for some reason. :frowning: They do cuddle with us, fortunately.

6 Likes

We adopted them as a bonded pair when they were kittens. While they aren’t related (they are a couple weeks apart in age based on when they started losing their baby teeth) they have been best friends since they met.
Here’s a picture of them at about 4 months old in the same spot not long after we adopted them:

After the passing of our previous two cats over 2015 and 2016, we definitely wanted two cats again. We also wanted two cats that actually liked one another (our dearly departed calico was definitely preferred solitude while our Maine Coon mix was very gregarious, much to her chagrin).

We didn’t set out trying to get kittens, but these two found us. They were getting passed over for adoption because they had been exposed to FELV. After consulting with our vet and having a negative blood test done at the shelter, we adopted them. (We’ve done several follow-up tests since then, all clear.)

They are very active, very mischievous, and massive pains in our ass. But we love them.

15 Likes

yes, this mirrors our kitties, in way. our two previous cats came to us at different times, and one was clearly the alpha cat (although she was physically smaller), and she CONSTANTLY felt the need to assert herself over our other cat. they fought all the time. SO, when we were at a place where we were thinking of getting new kitties this time, we wanted kitties that got along. then, our neighbor’s cat had kittens, so a perfect situation happened and we got siblings. Nick & Nora are so different from each other, and they don’t always hang out together, but they do cuddle like yours and i just. love. it.

6 Likes

I’m hoping Manny goes back to being cuddly with the other cats after he outgrows his current teenage-style obsession with “I attack you, then you attack me, then we rage/party, ok, OK, OK?!?!?” because it wears on the older cats.

9 Likes

8 Likes

I may not want my treat, but I dont want anyone else to have it

19 Likes

About a week and a half ago, as an ‘early Xmas present,’ we adopted a new kitten from the local shelter.

This is Potato:

Kitten 2

Kitten 1

21 Likes

Potato as a name is hilarious, adorable, and totally silly. Very awesome!

8 Likes