The Pets Thread

you might want to ask at your local SPCA, they might even offer some foods at a discount. our local one does.

6 Likes

The world is fucked up, and my phone died an abrupt and complete death. But, the new one has a pretty good camera, and Manny Pearl’s little tiny bottom teeth are amusing me at the moment. I’m trying mightily to not get ground down by everything, and teeny kitteh teef are helping a little.

15 Likes

So cute!

When Ally and Sona were tiny kittens they each had to have one of those bottom front teeth extracted – exactly the same one, and at the same time. We called them clones (but fortunately Sona doesn’t have the heart problem Ally had, and is still with us). Maybe they were from the same egg that split? Do cats have ever have twins among a litter?

5 Likes

I don’t study this kind of thing, but shouldn’t DNA work pretty much the same across the Kingdom Mammalia?

4 Likes

There are variations – some animals have only one offspring at a time, and some have a lot. Cats can have a litter with kittens from two (or more?) different fathers. If there’s only one father, though, are the kittens always all fraternal twins, each one from a different fertilized egg? Or is it possible for two or more of them to be from an egg that split first, with two or more kittens sharing the exact same DNA? I have read that a cloned calico cat won’t have the same pattern as its progenitor, because that comes out in development at random due to temperature – thus my question about our two calicoes who didn’t have the same fur pattern but did share a lot of other traits.

I know! I’ll ask Google! < sound of mouse clicks > The consensus seems to be that identical twins have been documented, but that cats have multiple ovulations per cycle, so that typically the kittens are all different.

8 Likes

Luke caught his first bird in years - he brought it to the front door, and he had its head in his mouth, his eyes all big with love.

At least it wasn’t one of the cardinals that lives in our trees. I think it was a sparrow. I had three thoughts in my head, all occurring simultaneously: “He loves me; germs; OMIGOD!!!”

I opened the door, pulled it out of his mouth, flung it to my left, off of the front porch, and shooed him into the house. He wasn’t happy, but he complied. This was not something I was expecting to happen this evening, much less EVER, lol!

There was no blood; looked like he snapped its neck, a clean swift kill.

But what is seen cannot be unseen…

10 Likes

When Ruby is “done” playing with a paper ball, she shreds it with the precision of an industrial feather-plucker. I can imagine the carnage when she gets her first capture.

9 Likes

Did he give the funny “I caught something in my mouth” meow?

Our cat Lyta loves playing with sparkly balls, and meows the whole time. I mean, “meow, meow, meow, meow, meow, meow, meow, meow, meow, meow, meow, meow, meow, meow, meow, meow, meow, meow, meow, meow, meow, meow, meow, meow, meow, meow, meow, meow, meow, meow” for like twenty minutes. It can get a little wearying!

7 Likes

THE BIRD’S HEAD WAS IN HIS MOUTH HE COULDN’T MAKE ANY NOISE!

Sorry, but the vision of it just came back…

9 Likes

I guess that was kinda yuck? We’ve had a lot of cats who meow distinctively with some toy or other in their mouth – and my SO remembers them from growing up being outside the door with a mouse and giving the distinctive “I have a present for you” meow. After being in college for awhile, she had forgotten what the distinctive meow meant and let the cat in – and a mouse too.

Cats are such interesting creatures!

6 Likes

Grotesque is the word I used to describe it to my son. I mean, this is LUKE…how many pics of him sleeping have I posted vs. those of him not sleeping, lol?

4 Likes

Our middle kitteh, nickname Jan Brady (in spite of being a he), has dragged lap blankets up to the second floor from the basement (from the laundry pile that seems to accumulate at the bottom of the basement stairs) doing a weird “mrwow mrwow mrwow” all the way up.

5 Likes

Yep, that’s it!

2 Likes

Yup, our rescue cat Jake (long since passed) used to do that with my clothes. Only mine.

That also reminds me – my first cat of my very own, Jasmine, caught a mouse once. Meowing outside the bedroom door and everything, but carefully enough that it was alive and uninjured. I put it outside, of course, and she meowed and looked at me as if to say, “What the hell are you doing?”

9 Likes

Luke on the north and south-east sides of the front porch, then on the ground on the southeast side.

14 Likes

So we’re having a lean week here as I try to finish a painting and get paid, and I figured out who’s gonna eat me when I die. Ruby, definitely Ruby. I woke up to her gnawing and licking my arm.
Tasha, on the other hand, tries to eat Tupperware.

ETA: I also found a great account on Instagram, fatcatart, starring Zarathustra the orange tabby inserted into famous artworks and media. I think Edvard Munch’s The Scream is my favorite.

8 Likes

Finally sitting still(ish) enough to take a picture.

10 Likes

Fabulous! My favorite is:

Seems so apropos.

11 Likes
14 Likes

That’s gotta be ‘shopped. If not, get that cat fixed ASAP, or (human) civilization is doomed.

5 Likes