The Pets Thread

I went to re-up on Afrin the other day and was pleased to find the Kroger brand was only $1.99.
Miracle drops, they are. like a bio-hack.

8 Likes

I hate having to take oxymetazoline when my nose is stuffed up because the rebound can be so awful if itā€™s overused, but damn is it ever a lifesaver when I really need it.

8 Likes

Tasha and Ruby have pitched so many territorial battles on the shelf under the window that it finally collapsed today. Coalā€¦coal for these two.

Looks like Iā€™ll engage in some carpentry tomorrow.

11 Likes

luckily a tiny drop in each nostril at the recommended 12hr interval is all I need.
I was taking it willy-nilly for a while until I read the bottle. didnā€™t notice goofing myself up but why risk it. the minimum dose works just fine, thankfully. I do have to take it daily as one of my new prescriptions blocks me up, rapidly. Told the nurse and received shrug.

9 Likes

Too much holiday cheer for the old girl.

12 Likes

I already have been! I can breath out of both nostrils now, but itā€™s like Iā€™ve got a bad head coldā€¦ still stuffy, but not so bad.

Iā€™m hoping this surgery will mean I donā€™t have to worry too much about keeping my sinuses clear in the future. The ENT Iā€™m seeing finally decided the issue was lack of drainage from my sinuses. He gave me prescription level stuff to try and clear my sinuses out, and it just didnā€™t do anything.

9 Likes

Been there, done that. Iā€™m currently dealing with bronchitis (very stressful holiday season, plus I made a rookie move of shaking 30 peopleā€™s hands at a meeting and then eating finger food with them without washing my hands first) and this is the FIRST TIME since my sinus surgery in 2000 that my sinuses are sometimes blocked (but only when Iā€™m lying down to sleep), after a lifetime of not only not being able to breathe through my nose, but not even being able to smell properly.

After 18 years, Iā€™m still in awe of what a change that surgery made in my life. I hope you feel the same.

9 Likes

IMG_20181225_132052|690x460](upload://wtVjYklO5f6xq3BDwpTo5u3o8Jg.jpeg)

14 Likes

Lucy is, of course, so very gor-jus, lol! (I have a special fondness for cats with her sort of coloring, as I rescued and fostered one for a litte bit back in the 1970s. Sheā€™d gotten her front left paw caught in her collar - no one in the neighborhood claimed her - and it ended up lacerating her leg. I took care of her the best I could and called a local rescue operation to come and get her. I called her Fruitcake, because the colors/pattern and she was kinda nutty as one, lol.)

8 Likes

I think itā€™s so cute when they use a paw to cover their faces.

7 Likes

Iā€™m sick, off work, need to stay near my landline until my house up in New York finishes the sale process (New York real estate transactions are insane, many details other states handle in advance take place during the closing process), and so, I am reading a book and having some quality lap time.

13 Likes
9 Likes

I donā€™t know about kidney damage, but I really wish I hadnā€™t switched my cat to ā€œseniorā€ food when I did (when she was about 12). She wasnā€™t gaining weight and was still pretty active, but her vet acted like it was tantamount to abuse to keep her on her old food.

She started going downhill after that, which agewise would have been normal anyhow, but I think it was accelerated by switching the food.

8 Likes

Here in TJ, pretty much all you can get is Walmart-grade pet foods like Friskies, etc. If I go to Chula Vista for food, transportation costs put it at around 50 bucks for a medium-sized bag of mid-grade food like Pro-Plan.
I canā€™t imagine what veterinary grade might cost. Possibly more than I spend on myself for food monthly.

Iā€™m considering trying to see if making food for Tasha is a possibility, if itā€™s not too labor intensive. Sheā€™s nuts for roast chicken, but Iā€™m not sure how I could get rice & cat-proper vegetables in there without her picking around them. I may just have to make a mash.
Either way, her diet needs improvement. Ruby does fine, but Tashaā€™s having difficulty with nuclear waste-level poo that smells horrible. Neither cat has worms.

5 Likes

The thing is about most premium foods is that they often have have really high protein which can put stress on the kidneys - especially in older cats. When our dearly departed calico was starting to have reduced kidney effectiveness we had to be careful to pick food that had less than 8% protein (most foods are in the high teens) to keep her kidney failure under control.

14 Likes

We were told exactly this by our vet for our senior dogs. We already knew we had to switch, but had been dallying on it.

7 Likes

Farewell, Millie. You are already missed.

19 Likes

So sorry for your loss. She looks just like the one I recently lost.

Fuckinā€™ terriers. Burrowing their little, beardy snoots into our hearts.

13 Likes

Rest In Peace. (Hug)

8 Likes

11 Likes