The Pets Thread

Lazy Toesday. Also HOT.
IMG_20220531_144234 IMG_20220531_124142 IMG_20220531_122156

7 Likes

You can always tell when Tabitha is happy because thatā€™s when the drooling starts. It grosses out Mrs. Ficus, but I think itā€™s adorable.

Hereā€™s a picture of her making biscuits (and a salivary mess) in her favorite bed.

(Such concentration!)

8 Likes

Drooly adorable.

3 Likes

If you havenā€™t seen this yet, this is the most fun viral video Iā€™ve seen in a while.

8 Likes

Ambushed by a pride of kittens. Overpowered by cuteness.

5 Likes

until our current pair, iā€™d never had cats who drooled when super happy. now, i take it as a point of pride (no pun intended) that i can make our current two drool a bit.

@ChickieD ā€“ omg, those tiny kitties all must be so HUNGRY :cry:

i wonder what he ended up doing.

7 Likes

He took them ALL home, of course:
https://imgur.com/b4OVdv6

Then started cleaning them up and finding them permanent homes:

8 Likes

hooray! thatā€™s the good news i needed today! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

6 Likes

Thereā€™s a whole follow-up series. The man and his family adopted them. They have an adorable deaf dog that likes to pal around with them. They also have 2 adorable children that go on wagon rides with the kittens. They are getting them adopted and they have had all kinds of offers for help with the vet bills, food, etc.

9 Likes

Queen Nyla claims more real estate. She is easily as big as Felix & Ghost, so she can fill a LOT of space.

(Sheā€™s distracted with food at the moment, so I can type this without tickling her feet, which puts her in a cranky mood.)

Well excuse me, your majesty, but my hands were there before your hairy stompers were!

(Nyla falls into a bad mood fairly easilyā€¦ Iā€™ve been working on mellowing her out. Sheā€™s doing much better now than when she arrived.)

6 Likes

Tickling her feet sounds rather dangerous.

I love the eyes and nose on her back paw pad!

2 Likes

Sheā€™s very vocal about her emotions. I donā€™t know what sort of action that might translate into; the goal is to never find out.

A local veterinarian with a radio segment once mentioned an incident he knew of where a cat killed its sibling. He didnā€™t go into details, but I wouldnā€™t be surprised if a totally P.O.d female killed her overly playful brother.

Nyla & Ghost are going on 4 years old now. Ghost still feels energetic and playful on many mornings. He seemed to have learned that he could chase his sister through the house if he felt like it, with no repercussions, and I suspect this has traumatized Nyla, considering the STRONG hostility she has for Ghost, and her strong need for human attention.

Well, Dad* is here to keep the peace. These cats love attention, so all I have to do is call to them or wave at them, and as soon as one comes trotting over to me thatā€™s itā€¦ the confrontation is broken up.

Nyla wants to hang out with me, so Ghost never has a chance to get started on her. Felixā€™s sister Polly used to visit me every morning during my wakeup time back when Felix was that age.

*(When they were kittens I was like their favorite uncle. I would come to visit bringing treats, then sit on the floor and play with them. Now Iā€™m more of a parental figure, so I sometimes think of myself as Uncle Dad.)

2 Likes

. . . sound like Dyson and Sona. He would bother her and she would yell her head off at him. Now she yells her head off for no reason, but at 19 2/3 I guess sheā€™s allowed. Sheā€™s deaf now, and may have a bit of kitty dementia going on too.

2 Likes

If you havenā€™t explored Jackson Galaxyā€™s channel on YouTubee, he has a lot of good stuff about how to set up your house so cats feel safe. One reason I havenā€™t gotten another cat even though my Beignet is 15 now and weā€™d kind of like to have another is that I came to learn that he is a very dominant cat.

Things we thought were cute when we had our other 2 cats - like meeting them at the door when theyā€™d come in from outside - we learned was actually expressing his dominance. As our 2 senior cats got older, we more and more started to see him doing things to make them feel uncomfortable inside. Fortunately, they were both indoor/outdoor cats and he is only an indoor cat, so they could go outside and be free of him.

We donā€™t have space now to have more than one litter box and we donā€™t have space for cats to have separate routes throughout our apartment, so we think heā€™d just completely dominate another cat and make them feel unsafe. Since we canā€™t set up the space for 2 cats to operate independently, we are waiting until we are in a different situation to acquire another kitty.

3 Likes

Heat wave Sugarplum, from about an hour & 20 minutes ago.
IMG_20220621_130949

5 Likes

Uh oh. Ghostie just hopped on the desk for some attention when Nyla was already here. Now sheā€™s in a bad mood.

Oh well, a string distraction to the rescue.

4 Likes

Thatā€™s what Bobby, the feral that comes around, looks like, except that side of him has less stripes on it. Iā€™ve not yet taken a good photo of him.

2 Likes

For some reason, I canā€™t upload my crappy video that has him in it; oh yeah, itā€™s because the file format isnā€™t supported.

1 Like

Weā€™re riding out a heatwave here, too. My window air conditioner, the ONLY A/C in this house, shot craps and weā€™re waiting service.

Itā€™s currentā€™y 91F outside, and, letā€™s seeā€¦ 91F inside, too! That surprises me, since itā€™s usually much warmer inside this brick pizza oven than it is outside. I have no idea how those old-timey people lived in houses like this without air conditioners.

I DO have a portable A/C rated for 14,000 BTUs set up in this room, but it actually generates about 9,500 BTUs of effective cooling overall, which in NOT nearly enough for this room.

The kittos have learned that they can descend the stairs toward the front door; it gets MUCH cooler about halfway down.

At the moment, the boys are hanging out near me. (sigh)

4 Likes
2 Likes