The Pets Thread

Sona is 20 today!!! :birthday: :cake:

10 Likes

What a sweet little old lady! I hope she gets some lovely treats and strokes to celebrate.

6 Likes

May she always have sunshine and a clean litter box! All hail Queen Sonja!

4 Likes

Thanks! We plan to give her a special treat for dinner.

Here’s a pic from when she was a wee lass:

9 Likes

8 Likes
5 Likes

i’m backing either Larry as PM (or at least interim PM, and Lord Buckethead for PM.)

3 Likes
3 Likes

I had to say goodbye to Felix today.
For over 9 years he has been a good, loyal friend and a loving, lovable adopted child.
It’s been a good run; he had a much longer, happier life here than he would have had in the alley he was born to.
But he should have had many more years.

He recently started losing weight and breathing rather heavily.
I took Felix to the vet. I had every intention of bringing Felix home and giving him a treat, maybe after a dose of antibiotics and a vitamin shot.
The vet did an ultrasound and found fluid around his heart, along with some sort of growth nearby. The prognosis was not good.

When I adopted Felix I made an unspoken contract to shelter him and provide for his needs to the best of my ability.
Sometimes, though, there is no cure. Nature has decided to separate us, and the best I could do was to send him on his way, to spare him from needless suffering. I see that as part of the contract as well. Bringing him home today would have been a selfish act; he would have suffered more in his short remaining time, and I could not allow that.

Nature gives us nothing. She only lends us things which she takes back, sometimes cruelly, over time.

Remember me with love, ya big, spoiled mooch.
I hope there is a better place after this one, Felix, and that you are there. I hope our paths join up again somewhere down the road.

FelixAtDaves_cropped

R.I.P. Felix
adopted 2013.05.18
birth est 2012 1Q or 2011 4Q
deceased 2022.10.31

13 Likes

I’m so sorry for the pain you’re feeling. You gave him such a good life.

I wish you peace.

5 Likes

Thanks. It has not been an easy day.

7 Likes

You will meet him again as his pet? <3

4 Likes

The one thing I regret to this day, and still chastise myself for, was holding on to our beloved family dog until she was basically begging to be put out of her misery. We couldn’t let her go, but that gave her months of unnecessary pain and suffering. True love means accepting when it’s time to say the final goodbye.

7 Likes

Given a choice, your pet would want to stay at home and ride out the problem until they get better… but sometimes there is no getting better.

We must ask ourselves: what will their quality of life be like?

The decision to let them go can be agonizing. I knew it was the right thing to do; he was being taken from me regardless of our wishes, but it took me several minutes to find the strength to settle on it.

Hell, I’m tearing up now, just replaying the scene in my mind.

5 Likes

I feel for you, guy. Take care.

3 Likes

my condolences. what a handsome boy. having had to let other kitties go, i have some sense of what you must be feeling. but you did the right thing for Felix, and he obviously had a longer, happier life with you than if he had never met you.

9 Likes

From 10/24/22.

4 Likes

Sorry for your loss.

4 Likes

From the evening of 11/17/22; at that time, the box had five dead AT&T phones in it.
IMG_20221117_203922_1

Note the unique pinky-toe action!

2 Likes

My cat floofed up for the winter

9 Likes