The wild animals that live among us

Good luck to the lil’ bandit! I hope the next stop involves less destruction.

3 Likes

We put out some food and water for the stray cats over the winter. The creatures are good about taking turns. This is Yellow, waiting patiently for Skunkie to finish.

6 Likes

A neighbor on a cross-street saw a bear in their yard this morning (or rather, their outdoor cameras caught the beast on video). Alas they haven’t shared the video. And we live ten minute’s walk from the (albeit small) downtown.

Our next door neighbor offered to use his raccoon trap but it’s probably not big enough. I assume he was joking.

BTW, he’s now trapped SIX raccoons and released them safely away from people. I’m not going to remove the child proof lock from our garbage bin though.

4 Likes
3 Likes

Here he is:

3 Likes
2 Likes

Garter snake had a wild ride today. First Lily caught it and brought it inside. After a couple of thwarted escape attempts (thanks Lil) I was able to grab the little snek and relocate him to the great outdoors, not too close to the house, tho

7 Likes

The black bear was safely trapped.

He has been put in witness protection where the Mob will never find him.

6 Likes

Rough patch for the bear, but I hope it’s improving, in a lot more bear appropriate wilderness.

4 Likes
1 Like
2 Likes
4 Likes
4 Likes

How can I fix the orientation on this?

1 Like

How can I fix the orientation on this?

Short’n’sweet answer:

It is done. I took the liberty of downloading the video, and used FFMPEG to do the work.

I’ve uploaded the results (TWO results) to Google Drive if you want them.
(I’ll remove them in due time, unless you want them gone sooner.)

First, a .gp3 file; the same file type as the original video:

AND an .mp4 file if you would rather have that format.

Let me know if you have any problems with downloading or playback.

4 Likes

For your amusement and eye-rolling pleasure, here’s the prototype for my original long-winded, nerdy computer-geek answer, which would probably be even more long-winded if I actually finished it:

There are many ways of rotating a video.

Do you run Windows, macOS, or Linux?

Googling “rotate video 90 degrees” turns up many online services including Clideo, which I just tested. It works. This is the easiest method I’ve found in a limited search.

If you would rather not upload your video to a web site and would rather do the rotation locally instead:

• VLC can rotate videos on playback, but saving the transformed video takes a couple extra steps and I’ve had no luck actually saving the rotated video.
  • If you’re not afraid of the command-line, FFMPEG can do it. FFMPEG is a powerful tool for video & image conversions of all sorts, but the LONG list of options can be overwhelming. I could provide the neccessary FFMPEG command if you wanted to try.

VLC & FFMPEG are both available for just about any operating system.

If you use Windows 10 or 11, you will have some local options courtesy of Microsoft that I cannot test on my Windows 7 machine.

I’m sure there are Mac tools out there that can do the job.

If you shot the video on an iPhone and it’s still on the phone, there seems to be an easy solution:
https://www.howtogeek.com/284116/how-to-rotate-videos-on-the-iphone/.

ETA it can be done on Android as well. I rarely shoot videos, so I just didn’t know:

4 Likes

OH my, you are so gallant, thank you so very much!

I will read your entire posts later on today, as I’m dim right now.

This is much appreciated!

3 Likes

It is often easier to perform the computer magic trick than to explain it.

5 Likes

And that’s why you’re the “magician” and I’m the “Gee whillikers!” audience. <3

2 Likes

I run on Windows, on my lappie.

I think it’ll just be easier for all of us if I just remember to check the orientation before I start recording. :smiley:

2 Likes