Theme Mockups

Using Firefox’s Element Inspector, mock up the theme that you want to see. Since I’m starting the topic, here’s my take:

Light Blue

Modified colour scheme that focuses on being bright and blue.

EDIT:
This is not an officially-sanctioned topic, nor does this reflect the opinions of current management. Adding new themes is a concern of mine, and mine alone as a member of the community.

4 Likes

I’m pretty happy with the dark theme. Just waiting for our logo to replace the Discourse one.

8 Likes

I’ll make sure there’s always a dark theme, even if it’s not the default.

7 Likes

The dark theme is pretty decent out-of-the-box. There’s just not much you can really do to the Dark theme to make it feel different. (That’s not necessarily a bad thing)

3 Likes

Sounds like another competition.

4 Likes

#ToBeDecided

Done. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3 Likes

Actually, how about putting up basic text versions of some of the naming contest names, and rotating between them daily to let people see how they fit up there.

Might push more people off the fence for the naming contest, too!

“What?! I don’t like that
“Well it’s not fixed yet, go vote at {linky}”

(Tagging @waetherman, 'cause we’re playing in his stuff :wink:)

5 Likes

For what it’s worth, I like the black as a default as it’s visually distinct from some other Discourse sites. Less confusion.

(Also, on April the first, we can make the theme black-and-red and really confuse people who have fetlife accounts. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:)

5 Likes

Bumping with this:

This is Earthtones, a theme I’m working on for use in the hot, bright summer. I’m no colour designer and definitely not an artist. It’s probably three to five iterations from being ready for public testing.

Logo used is taken from the Logo Mockups thread and is subject to change when a final design arrives.

EDIT:
The can be selected from your settings menu if you’d like to test it. I’m field-testing it for usability. No major changes planned for it.

2 Likes

I’m trying it out. My initial impression is that the main brown used for the Reply button, etc, doesn’t provide enough contrast. Can we try a mustard yellow? I like the flame orange color a lot.

2 Likes

I found the link colors hard to read in the sun. Also need to tweak the mobile logo so it doesn’t interfere with replying.

1 Like

Flame orange does complement brows quite nicely. Mustard yellow is a bit harder to pull off but can be attempted.

Made some light changes to some text colours to enhance contrast. Text is readable and the interaction buttons now 50% more visible on direct sunlight.

2 Likes

gah, sounds like teenagers. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I like the earthtones. I also like the logo that apparently just went live.

1 Like

I do too, but I miss the E.

1 Like

The E? I can put up an orb with an E. Did the logo go live across all themes or just Earthtones?

I saw the logo a couple days ago, when I first switched to Earthtones, and when I scrolled down far enough the “Elsewhere Cafe” text went away and the cup got an E emblazoned on it. But today, the cup stays all white.

Edit: yeah, seems like the logo only shows up in Earthtones. But am I crazy, or did the coffee cup used to have an E on it, once the Elsewhere Cafe text isn’t there? (I know the logo has a different name at that point… “favicon” is it?)

1 Like

It did. I’m redoing it tonight in higher resolution so it doesn’t look as bad on desktop.

1 Like

Groovy. While you’re at it, did you want to add the thin arc that separates the top of the cup from the… uh… globe, or foamed milk, or whatever it was? The thing @ChickieD mentioned here:

…or should she build this herself? I admit I haven’t followed the discussion closely this week; been busy.

1 Like

Ah, absolutely!

EDIT:
I’ll add the line (to the main logo) and the E on the smaller one.

1 Like