Time to Name Names

My spouse has a story about an online literary discussion group she was in, where when they covered Much Ado About Nothing, the main characters were Beatrice and Benethingy.

10 Likes

Many years ago I dreamed up this gorgeous name, Phoslene, that was a character in a story. I still love it. Sounds vaguely British circa the mod era. Baby @infundibulum would be a good Phoslene.

8 Likes

It’s a good thing her little theatre group didn’t try to stage Sean O’Casey’s Juno and the Paythingy.

5 Likes

And if twins, boy and girl, Phoslene and Phosgene.

7 Likes

People’s names do not contain numbers.

Sucks to be you, Hen3ry.

People’s names are not written in ALL CAPS.

Unless they’re an oldster with an AOL account. Then they’re always written in all caps, along with everything else they write.

6 Likes

Or perhaps Phoslene and Gosling

6 Likes

As an Uncle, if it was a girl, I would name her Denise, and if it was a boy, Denephew.

14 Likes

If they were identical twins, I’d name them Juan and Amal. Once you’ve seen Juan, you’ve seen Amal.

13 Likes

I trust he hasn’t seen his shadow. Six more weeks of labour wouldn’t be fun at all.

11 Likes

Let’s not forget little Phosphene! I’m seein’ stars!

7 Likes

How go the deliberations?

5 Likes

Nah you’ve just got gas.

6 Likes

Then I’d be Phosphine, not Phosphene. :wink:

5 Likes

Eye see.

4 Likes

Thank you for reminding me. In setting up this process, I did not set a deadline for the naming committee to choose a shortlist, recognizing that people may have other claims on their time, which I’m sure are important in their own minds. I did, however, suggest mid-June as a reasonable goal for selecting a name for our newest member.

@ChickieD, what news? The ides of June approaches, and I’m sure that @infundibulum and family are eager to stop referring to the little fellow as TBD and to start practicing his official name.

I realize that winnowing down the suggested names to a list of just five is daunting, given the extraordinary quality of the submissions. Indeed, one could simply make a selection at random and picture [insert name] carrying it for a lifetime. But is “good enough” the criterion by which we at the Cafe judge ourselves? I submit that it is not. We undertake these tasks, not because they are easy, but because they are hard.

10 Likes

Best name so far, on a bunch of different levels. :+1:

12 Likes

A name with a long and noble history.

However, we mustn’t gloss over the problematic attitude of the Russian branch of the family vis-à-vis the peasantry.

6 Likes

As mid-August makes its way into late-August… Has there been any progress? We don’t want the little one to think of TBD as their permanent name.

8 Likes

TBD, or not TBD, that is the question.

5 Likes

Hmm, pronounced Tibid? Sounds like meek with a cold.

5 Likes