6 Likes

giphy-downsized (6)

11 Likes

Enjoy your happy day!

10 Likes

dorothy-birthday

Yay! Hope it was a great one!

8 Likes

I wiped out on my bike on the way to the library this evening. This was the first time (since I picked up riding again, and, ahem, this century), and I knew it’d happen eventually; now that it has I can stop worrying about it.

There’s a little gravel shortcut that goes into the back of a neighborhood, and over time the gravel gets banked up toward the sides and middle from occasional traffic, and it’s kinda deep at times. You enter the road on a downhill at speed after a 135 degree turn, which is great, and usually I just keep my speed, grinding and surfing to the other end, over in 60 seconds. (Sharp turn at the end to keep from going into the creek; best to turn and cross on the one-lane bridge.)

This time, it was sunset and it’s overshadowed by trees anyway, pretty dark, I couldn’t see the road’s contours. There’s a bumpy little drainage halfway down so I kept to the right past that, and that’s where I hit deep gravel. I could have surfed it out but would’ve needed to surf to the right … where the trees are. Down I went, separated from the bike, rolled off, took the hit on my shoulder and side.

And stood up. I was fine, the bike was fine, and anyway, I have a $50 bike – who cares if it gets banged up! I rode off, laughing inside. It was a great night for a ride.

13 Likes

It was okay. My birthdays are never big deals.

I planned on having some girls over from work - may’ve mentioned this earlier, think I did - and it turns out I had to cancel it, as other things cropped up for the others (one forgot she had a concert to go to that date; one’s mother set up a night-out-after-work w/out; the other, I have no clue, and I did ask her in person). And I’m pretty sure I invited them all a month in advance? I can’t compete with the night-out-at-the-bar after work, though.

I was really looking forward to it though. I have so much fun STUFF - books, movies, board games…am I too old-fashioned? Is everything done on small handheld devices now? I don’t have one - besides my flip-phone - and I don’t really want one.

sigh

10 Likes

The friend who gets me to do all those things is ten years younger than me. So… no?

Pub nights are also fun, but anything gets boring if that’s all you do.

10 Likes

I’m so sorry! That sucks, especially since you had planned this so far in advance.

5 Likes

This is a minor victory, but I’m still gonna count it, 'cuz I need some victories these days.

I was driving home last night and got pulled over for a blown tail light bulb. Fortunately, the nice policeman only gave me a warning.

The local auto parts store was open today, so in I go. Got the bulb and tried to change it in the parking lot. I managed that (with minor assistance from a kindly stranger)… but. There’s a small metal bracket that is supposed to hold the screw that keeps the taillight assembly in the frame. That bracket has a tendency to weld itself onto the screw, and if it’s not seated correctly, the assembly doesn’t want to stay in the frame. :rage:

My new friend and I managed to jam it back in enough to get me home. I grabbed some pliers to hold the bracket and my silicon spray (which I’d forgotten to throw in the trunk) to lubricate the metal. With a few minutes’ wrestling, I managed to unscrew and reseat the bracket. Problem solved!

I’m not sure if that deserves a victory cry, but it’s always nice when I can fix something on my car myself. And those stuck brackets can be a royal pain.

20 Likes

These days, every victory counts. That’s a good one. ACHIEVEMENT UNLOCKED.

12 Likes

9:15am.

I’ve gotten out of bed, showered, made breakfast (scrambled eggs, sausages, biscuits and gravy), washed all dishes, scrubbed down all cooking surfaces, cleaned the range top, swept the kitchen floor, and did laundry.

Depression can suck it. I’m ready to meet the world.

19 Likes

Awesome! I’m happy for you!

6 Likes

April 2016 I concocted a wild-haired scheme to get a bicycle and start using it to get me to local hikes, instead of driving there. I’d already been doing these hikes regularly, and I thought biking to the trailheads would be cleaner, greener, less carbon, more exercise.

I got the bike in June 2016 and figured operationalizing the plan would take me the whole summer (of 2016) but here it is a year and a half later. It turns out, even beyond the bike itself, my little plan has a great many moving parts which you don’t necessarily appreciate until you try to get it all in motion.

Regardless, as of yesterday, that plan is fully operational. Today I’m proudly sore, the good kind of sore that says you pushed the edges of your personal performance envelope and, with luck (and rest, and nutrition), expanded them. I’ve already been three times by bike with just a little hiking, but this time I did the whole hike too. Yes, it was as good as I’d hoped; it just took about 100 times more effort and study than I’d expected to get to where I can do it.

Five Minutes from Where the Road Ends and the Trail Begins

20 Likes

LINUX NERD EDITION:

Enlarged my swap partition and turned my /tmp directory into a multi-gig “tmpfs.”

Works fine. Large files go into swap. None of the terrible things one might imagine happen at all :smiley: even though I have very little physical RAM.

8 Likes

I printed a 4 x 6 photo on my printer!!!

(Only took me an hour to figure out how to load the paper and print from the app instead of a PDF)

13 Likes

Anyone who can get a #!!!//=%!!!???!!! printer to work is awesome by me. Or a fax machine, because no matter how much people say otherwise, those are still a thing.

13 Likes

Of course they’re still a thing. No one can get very far without having the fax of life.

13 Likes

Yeah, they are; medical records offices use them, and so do insurance companies.

7 Likes