Victory! 🌷💥🎆🎉😎 I'm a Rockstar!

I know a Chad. He’s awesome. In addition to this defense, his real name is Chandler. His dad was a cop.

for sale, baby shoes, never worn

6 Likes

Those who read my stuff will be aware that I learnt to use a lathe a few months ago, and I’ve been messing about with woodturning ever since.

Woodturning tools are divided into two categories: gouges and scrapers. Gouges look like this:

While scrapers look like this:

Scrapers are used as the name implies; the blade points with the direction that the wood is moving, and scrapes some off as it goes. Gouges use a cutting action instead; they point the blade into the oncoming wood.

You don’t need gouges, but they produce a much smoother surface after the cut. This means that, once the cutting is done, you spend five minutes sanding instead of an hour.

However, gouges are much trickier to use, and if you get it wrong they make a big bang and a mess. The margin between doing it right and destroying your work is very small. So, they tend to be a bit intimidating for novice woodturners.

Anyway: today I finally figured out how to use gouges properly. :slightly_smiling_face:

So, to celebrate, I took these two things:

And made this thing [1]:

…so now I’ve made my first woodturning tools, too.

It was a good day, and I don’t get to say that too often.

[1] Round profile scraper with a pistachio handle. The holes are from the borers that killed the tree; for my purposes, they’re just extra grip. :slightly_smiling_face:

19 Likes

The university finally e-mailed our grades – I got 98% on the course!

(Next course in the certificate starts next week. And the stress begins anew.)

16 Likes

Go you!

8 Likes

On the other side, all of my student evals were pretty good - all 3 classes were over 4.5!

19 Likes

Well, we already knew that you’re awesome.

12 Likes

2nd-doc-zoe-hug

8 Likes

Done and done. Reeled in a 9 pounder, everybody is doing well.

17 Likes

:joy::heart_eyes::tada:

Meets the size restrictions, but that’s your daily limit. :wink:

Is it still okay to ask boy or girl?

16 Likes

I’m so glad everything went well!

14 Likes

Boy!

Easy delivery once I had a little bit of pitocin to get my contractions restarted this morning.

17 Likes

Yay! A Baby! Congratulations!

12 Likes

Congrats!

9 Likes

Woo Hoo!

So are you going to have a Poll for the name or do you just want everyone to submit their favorite?

Streetlamp LeMoose is a name that is going places…

14 Likes

Or crumple pogostick rope.

11 Likes

I suggest we use “infantibulum” as a working title.

18 Likes

Baby McBabyface?

14 Likes

Acetabulum?

11 Likes

That’s a real hip name.

11 Likes

This is the winner. Everyone else pack it in.

17 Likes