Victory! đŸŒ·đŸ’„đŸŽ†đŸŽ‰đŸ˜Ž I'm a Rockstar!

But my understanding is that a “Chad” is simply a guy who has heterosexual sex, whether with a wife, girlfriend, or one-night stand.

3 Likes

If you want the incels to Define All the Words, yeah. Personally I don’t give them the authority.

If not Chad, then Jason.

5 Likes

If you’ll notice, I WAS subtly redefining the term.

Now I’m even more confused about what this guy at work was doing.

1 Like

There’s been a few threads, but I think it started here:

https://bbs.elsewhere.cafe/t/workplace-drama-asshole-coworker/1205

5 Likes

Thanks, but that’s exactly WHY I don’t understand the name. This guy was obviously a jerk and a terrible employee, but sex in any form doesn’t seem to come into the story anywhere. All I can think is that the pseudonym was assigned before the incel stuff was being talked about, so the name “Chad” didn’t have the same connotations yet.

It’s just jarring in a weird way, because of all the recent discussions about calling men “Chad” and women “Stacy” to indicate that they’re having sex, but not doing anything wrong or mean to anyone.

This guy, on the other hand, is a total asshole and it is really a great day for @tinoesroho to be able to see the last of him at work!

6 Likes

Aside from not wanting to doxx the guy, choosing Chad as a pseudonym makes sense, because stereotypical White “alpha males” with their sense of entitlement often have stereotypical White ‘jock’ names: Chad, Brad, Biff etc.

That so-called incels have chosen the name ‘Chad’ to describe rich White ‘alpha males’ who are getting all the hetero sex with “hot chicks” (Stacies) which incels feel they themselves are ‘entitled to’ just speaks to their jealousy - they all want to be “Chad.”

9 Likes

I just think its nearly two decades late for Dangling Chad jokes
but that’s just me

6 Likes

And that’s another negative connotation the name has; Chad is just a cursed moniker.

7 Likes

Yeah, I’d have been fine with “Brad” or “Biff”. As you say, either of those would have given an indication of the guy’s sense of privilege in life.

Basically, I don’t want to give incels any credit for the terminology they’re using to justify their bigotry and hatred. Especially when it doesn’t seem to have anything to do with the situation, anyway. Let’s never use the names Chad or Stacy as pseudonyms again, until the incel movement has died off.

2 Likes

“Chad” has been used to mean “annoying man whose name is unimportant” since long before incels adopted the word. Cracked (for example) has been using it in that sense since they started their website, as far as I can tell.

My friends and I used “Ted” to mean much the same thing as teenagers and “Theodore” if said annoying man looked like they were probably posher than your average Ted.

I think I first encountered “Chad” as a derogatory term about 20 years ago when I went online and started encountering American slang for the first time but I knew exactly what it was referring to as soon as I saw it.

Just because some stupid arseholes misappropriate a word doesn’t mean we can’t still use it.

9 Likes

The only thing I can really add to this is that there is an actual human named Chad making my life very silly and moderately annoying today. So I’m pro-Chad namecalling in this moment.

6 Likes

You should ask the woman who coined the term “incel” what she thinks about that!

4 Likes

Wait, what woman? And how did she mean it?

3 Likes

Not as “blaming sluts for not being able to get laid” that’s for sure!

10 Likes

I had considered the former pseudonym but it was too similar to a coworker’s name. As for Biff
 weren’t Biff and Tony the interchangeable fourth in the Hardy Boii group adventures?

In retrospect, Wonderbread would have been equally useful as a moniker, without the incel connotations.

Long and short of it is that his career at red store is toast.

8 Likes

But that gives the No-Sells too much power over my vernacular - unfuck them, they don’t matter.

The only person I give the ‘Voldemort’ treatment to is 45, and only then because I refuse to feed his egomania by saying or writing his name, unless absolutely necessary.

11 Likes

The most important detail!

9 Likes

That’s a bit different, in my opinion: she created a new word to describe a phenomenon that she had observed and then arseholes used it incorrectly to describe their own feelings of misogyny, thereby associating her original work with their hatred.

As far as “Chad” goes, they used an already existing bit of slang in a similar way to how it was already in use, albeit with more feelings of impotent rage associated with it.

If a hate group started using the word “guy” to describe the objects of their ire, does that mean no one else should ever use the word, even though it’s quite a useful term otherwise?

6 Likes

I hear you. But I do think language changes over time so we’re always dropping some words or phrases and adding new ones.

3 Likes

5 Likes