Victory! šŸŒ·šŸ’„šŸŽ†šŸŽ‰šŸ˜Ž I'm a Rockstar!

@Wanderfound warned us a while ago that SSRIā€™s are dangerous, but I didnā€™t listen. I was on one all through last winter. In the spring I discovered Iā€™d gained a lot of weight, which is a known side effect. FUCK. So all through the summer I was

and as of a few days ago I thought I was still stuck between 26 and 27, but today itā€™s between 25.08 and 25.37, according to my bathroom scale. Not through the goal posts yet but back within what I used to think of as my normal range. I was afraid Iā€™d permanently fucked up my metabolism :sweat_smile:

17 Likes

Great news!

6 Likes

Antihistamines in general make people gain weight, I guess, and that includes SSRIā€™s and even vitamin C. It has occurred to me that some things we do to make ourselves ā€œhealthierā€ can also make us heavier, like cows bingeing on antibiotics.

5 Likes

And then thereā€™s prednisone, which can make you bloat up like a zeppelin.

4 Likes

I was going through everything on my ā€œvitamin shelfā€ looking up whatā€™s supposed to make you retain fluid and whatā€™s supposed to get rid of it

5 Likes

Iā€™m a two-time SSRI survivor (Prozac and Zoloft); I doubt Iā€™ll be doing that again. Iā€™m taking the exercise cure instead, which works decently well as long as it includes high-intensity periods a couple times a week (defined as working too hard to say much at all). I was at the doctorā€™s last month and my depressive past came up, and he said (knowing me) ā€œbut you donā€™t want me to prescribe anything?ā€ Thank you, no.

Great news on your weight loss. I was trying for that this summer but no change.

9 Likes

Gig City! (For the municipal broadband.) Congratulations on setting that new direction.

8 Likes

I LOVE IT!!! (and yes, I got the Gig!)

Just came back from the Business Incubator I live next door to and this city rocks hard. So much joy and fun and innovation.

11 Likes

Avec Les Nicholas Brothers.

5 Likes

AND TODAY: weighed myself three times, BMI was 24.56, 24.99, 24.20

Achievement unlocked :unlock: I guess. Iā€™m officially, right this minute, not overweight.

13 Likes

Iā€™ve always wondered. Is avec like flan? Some kind of fancy French flexible-flavor flan that can be savory or seafood, NASCAR or kosher? Itā€™s so much with things.

6 Likes

Ripped!

3 Likes

Hardly :roll_eyes: actually Iā€™m the least ripped ever at this actual number. NOW I KNOW: deliberately messing with my fluid levels is a strategy that will make me lose weight and still look fat :confused:

Itā€™s OK, whatever, summerā€™s over, Iā€™ll take the technical win

8 Likes

By way of an update to my previous post about smoking too much, I finally found a vaporiser shop and they were as nice as they could possibly have been. I walked in expecting a hard sell and that I would leave with something unsuitable, which I would have to adjust over time: ā€œI have [X vaporiser] but itā€™s too mild/too strong/not refillable/etc etc etc.ā€

One member of staff spoke English and she translated for the other three, who all had their areas of expertise. Between them, we found an ideal dose, size, ohm resistance (this makes a huge difference in the drag you take on it) and an almost-perfect (but still slightly too sweet) flavour.

I am very, very pleased with my new toy and even more pleased by the fact that I have only smoked two cigarettes today instead of twenty:

They gave me a choice of rings to protect the glass chamber and Mrs Cynical absolutely insisted that I get the Batman oneā€¦ :smile:

ETA: Rest assured, I have lined up the logo and the button since this photo was taken.

15 Likes

Good for you! I havenā€™t had a cigarette since November 2014, because of nicotine vape.

In my experience, whichever flavor you select, if you stick with it, will lose its flavor. Like how you stop smelling something youā€™ve been smelling all day. I donā€™t recall how long it took me, though.

8 Likes

Yeh, Iā€™m sure that it will lose some of its scent over time but the reviews I have read of this e-liquid all say itā€™s nice but a little on the sweet side.

They gave me a taste test of at five or six different flavours and this was the least sweet one they had in the shop. I wonder if it might be a cultural thing (a lot of things I have tasted in Italy have been sweeter than I would prefer) and if there are alternatives out there that just taste of smoke or nothing at all. Any suggestions?

5 Likes

I had the best reaction to tobacco flavors, but all the candy ones were horrible. Iā€™m in the US and we seem to favor sweet, too, blergh. I almost wish there was a flavorless one.

The other thing is that around here, a lot of the stores mix their own. Which, I donā€™t know, itā€™s kind of a weird concept.

I like evo vaporā€™s black diamond, but I donā€™t know whatā€™s available where you are.

5 Likes

All of the liquids they had in stock were from the US and I imagine it wouldnā€™t be too much hassle to order more for myself over the internet.

I went with 3 Baccos - Havana. Itā€™s nice but I canā€™t help but shake the feeling that Iā€™m smoking honey-dipped blunt skins instead of cigarettes. Not offensive at all, just sweeter than I would like. Thanks for the tip though, Iā€™ll give it a try once Iā€™m done with this bottleā€¦

5 Likes

My SO prefers the evo timber flavor. I donā€™t like the taste very much, but the smell is more like tobacco.

I also thought I would want to switch out flavors, but it didnā€™t turn out that way.

6 Likes

Dad made it through the surgery, is out of post-op, and is resting in his room now. The tumor had actually grown through the bladder wall, but the doctor thinks he finally got it all out. When he was awake, Dad said it felt like they took a melon out of his stomachā€¦ and the lack of pressure felt good. (He got an epidural.)

Thereā€™s still recovery to get through, and he needs a lot more weight on his bonesā€¦ but I hope I can say ā€œso far so goodā€ without jinxing anything.

23 Likes