Victory! šŸŒ·šŸ’„šŸŽ†šŸŽ‰šŸ˜Ž I'm a Rockstar!

Because I have photos to remind me of my sonā€™s toddlerhood (heā€™s going to be 29 in October!)

ā€¦and hereā€™s a mightyfine toilet ritecheer. Havenā€™t even used it myself yet.

8 Likes

Just got an offer from my alma mater for a VL positionā€¦

Also, put in two other applications at other places this morning (before the email came!).

Yay?

20 Likes

Yes potentially triple yay.

5 Likes

Possibly good news, but what is a ā€œVL?ā€ :thinking:

5 Likes

Tiny victory but my balcony chilli farm is coming along very nicely indeed.

Today, I repotted the existing chillis into bigger pots to make way for the new seeds that should (hopefully) arrive this week. I have chilli padi (birdā€™s eyes in the west, I think) and a ā€œlong chilliā€ growing at the moment but I have naga jolokia, Carolina reaper and some slightly less insane ancho seeds winging their way to me in the post at the moment, as well as a habanero that is germinating in the bathroom before I move it into the heat outside.

This is the ā€œbeforeā€ photo:

Earlier this afternoon, my balcony looked like this:

Now it looks like this:

In the other corner, we have also planted a herb garden:

Feels like a productive day and now Iā€™m (unsurprisingly) relaxing with a beer on the balcony and enjoying my handiwork.

19 Likes

Well, thatā€™s another year dealt with - and while itā€™s not exactly ā€˜easyā€™ yet, following the Life Breaking Glitch, this one was an improvement on the previous one, and the year before that and the year before that. So thatā€™s that. :tada:

This is a victory I should commemorate, dammit, so yeah: Happy birthday to me.

18 Likes

Visiting lecturer, itā€™s a limited term position, with a heavy teaching load (in this case, a 4/4, meaning 4 classes per semester, fall and spring). Itā€™s a 2 year appointment, and I donā€™t believe itā€™s renewable. But it gives me a job for the next couple of years while I look for a tenure track, full time position (and work on getting a book contract for my dissertation).

22 Likes

Iā€™ll drink to that!

10 Likes

11 Likes

I would gladly read your book

10 Likes

One day, letā€™s hope!

7 Likes

I found out yesterday that the secretary I crowbarred off the allotment committee has been kicked off the site for stealing Ā£600 from the allotment funds. We knew heā€™s done something dodgy when he claimed to have paid a plumber Ā£800 for work on the site and we very definitely didnā€™t have Ā£800 worth of work done. Weā€™ve finally managed to get hold of the invoice and he canā€™t lie his way out of this one.

Itā€™s sad though to think of how many people have been forced off the committee and off the site by his bullying behaviour over the years.

9 Likes

I got the job at the discount crafts store I applied to about a month or so ago. I start on Tuesday, 7/25/17.

I burst into tears after I got into my car when I was about to leave. Iā€™ll have to give up a lot of my assisted-living singing gigs. Iā€™m happy, Iā€™m anxious. The owner of the store looks like a cross between Sir Patrick Stewart and Frank Gorshin, leaning more toward SPS. I am NOT kidding.

Everyone is very friendly. Itā€™s a diverse place, employee-wise. It opened up in 1991 at the location Iā€™ll be working at, which happens to be only three miles or so from my house.

THIS IS SCARY FOR ME FOLKS, lol! I did NOT expect it to happen so quickly. I didnā€™t expect it to happen, period! When I first applied, I didnā€™t find out till afterward that it was for warehouse/driver, which Iā€™m not. I gather from what the owner told me during my interview that folks who couldnā€™t make it in to work on time got fired and they need replacements.

And the employee manual says nothing about drug testing. And I think heā€™s ex-military, because the manual lists the order of management as ā€œchain of commandā€.

Iā€™m still freaking out. I need to eat something.

25 Likes

Congratulations!!!

I have some insight into the warehouse job business and showing up is THE big thing they look for. I know one company that spent so much time hiring people who wouldnā€™t show up that they hired a temp agency to keep bodies showing up.

Are you excited? You say you are scared. Why is that?

10 Likes

Iā€™ll working the floor, lots of customer service but also restocking. Heck, I thought showing up on time was vital for any job, lol!

Iā€™m scared/excited (scexcited? excitared?) because I havenā€™t worked with people on a regular basis outside the home for over eight years.

7 Likes

Youā€™d be shocked how many people donā€™t make it to work on time, or every day.

I like the chatter around the water cooler aspect of work; meeting people in the hallway and being like, ā€œOh, got the Mondays?ā€ or ā€œReady for the weekend?ā€

5 Likes

I was about to say the same thing!

@Lucy_Gothro be friendly but avoid any staff-related drama if you can. Customers can be great but they can also be awful. Just remember that you may have to deal with them being arseholes for 10 minutes but they have to deal with being an arsehole for the rest of their life - donā€™t let it get to you.

8 Likes

I worked in the subscription department of a local publishing venture in the Detroit area for four years - one of the teenagers hired by my dept. manager ended up hiding cocaine in the warehouse, then breaking in with her boyfriend, whoā€™d previously pushed her downstairs while she was pregnant and cut her hair off and dropped it off at her motherā€™s house, and stealing it. I got in trouble for reporting it to a local newspaper; the cops werenā€™t even called.

I got fired, actually. And thatā€™s just the LAST incident I experienced there. It had more drama than any soap opera ever ever ever ever!

8 Likes

I like the getting-paid aspect of work.

13 Likes

woah. Thatā€™s insane. But you got fired? because???

6 Likes