Well this is interesting

Did anyone else read the subject book as a teen and just wonder about it?

1 Like

I’m not familiar with it.
I remember “Ace Hits the Big Time,” though.

1 Like

Interesting story. Reminds me of this con, which happened when we were gradual students at the Univ. of Utah:

3 Likes

Why Do Creepy Dolls Keep Washing Up on Texas Beaches? | Smart News| Smithsonian Magazine.

1 Like

3 Likes

This was news to me.

3 Likes

“No thats not possible, we have a policy against that!” […]
“These policies are being decided by a handful of people that the public doesn’t get access to” […]
“We are creating intelligent systems that are part of our everyday life and very few people are getting to make the decisions about how they work.” […]
“AI colonialism - we are creating all of these advanced technologies based primarily on data drawn from western cultures and then we are populating developing nations with these technologies where they have to adopt our cultural norms in order to use the technology.”

2 Likes
1 Like

Interesting way to experiment with the Dunning-Kruger effect.

2 Likes

One of my jobs was working with a search engine company, Retrievalware. I actually reported directly to Paul Nelson, one of the founders.

It’s one of the most sophisticated pieces of software I ever worked with, and one of the most difficult to understand. Most software I worked with, the interface gave clues as to how it worked. Like, you go into Microsoft Word and select File > Open. You might not understand as a consumer what File > Open does under the hood but reading the menus and interface overall gives a really good idea of what the underlying code functions are.

But with search, it’s just a black box, really. Even the advanced search functions only give a small clue as to what is going on with the software. All of the “algorithms” that people talk about like they are magic are made by the programmers. And there isn’t just one algorithm, but thousands and thousands. Then, each company can set up their searches in different ways, all of which are controlled by programmers.

One company that wanted to work with us was wines.com, or a similar site. They were going to use our search tool to organize search responses so that the wines that came up at the top of the list were the most profitable to them. But when you as a consumer do the search on an e-commerce site, you think the results are neutral. (That’s why I always change the sort lowest to highest price).

The social media sites are like that, too. What does Facebook serve up to you? What does Instagram? Who knows.

5 Likes

Quantum Reality

Quantum Reality on Tumblr

This is probably the worst that anything has ever aged

7 Likes

It’s in a tie with this, if ya ask me ('n I know, ya din’t, lol):

3 Likes

3 Likes

:grin:

3 Likes

Seriously, I was just thinking about him before I clicked on this thread! How wonderful!

1 Like

I really wonder if they can separate them!

1 Like

I think they can, but it’ll take more time than that Spanish lady restoring Jesus.

2 Likes

4 Likes