Well this is interesting

So, why did I write that brief tribute to a Brewers fan song forgotten by the internet? What made me try to find it in the first place? Here’s where I bring it all together.

The song might we absent from the internet, it is however permanently implanted in my brain. My older brother was a huge Brewers fan and he played that record a lot. Incessantly. That and the team’s official theme song “Come See What’s Brewin’.”

So the “Brew Crew We’re Right Behind You” song is never far from me. I find myself singing it at various random moments.

A few days ago I stumbled upon this song by Garbage, which I had never heard before:

As we get to the ending chorus, Shirley Manson sings:

Go, baby, go-go!
We’re right behind you.
Go, baby, go-go!
Yeah, we’re lookin’ at you.

It didn’t seem real. This has lyrical, rhythmic and melodic similarities to:

Brew Crew-oo, Brew Crew-oo,
We’re right behind you!
Brew Crew-oo, Brew Crew-oo,
Yeah, we’re goin’ all the way.

But then I remembered — Garbage is from Wisconsin. Is it possible this song is in their sub conscience too?

Then I went further. Various members of Garbage were bumming around the Wisconsin music scene in the early 80. They were members of bands and recording music going back to the late 70s. Their dedicated facility, Smart Studios, was started in ‘83. So it’s not impossible to consider one or more of them performed this Brew Crew Song. Heck, maybe they could have even written it or recorded it.

I can’t say for certain, but this how my mind works. I’m the James Burke of Wisconsin.

But unless I find a copy in a second-hand music store we my never know. Radio Doctors is long gone. And Milwaukee is sadder for it.

4 Likes

the 84 Tigers had a similar theme song leading up to their world series win that year, but there’s multiple videos of it on YouTube. I always assumed the title, Bless You Boys, was due to being pitted against the Padres in the series, but I never fully understood the lyrics beyond the chorus.
and of course the Bears had the Super Bowl Shuffle.
considering the above, it really is odd that your song is lost media these days.

1 Like

Well, we’ll always have this at least:

2 Likes
1 Like
1 Like

Perhaps a bear which had taken to raiding human camps. If it had stopped fishing and/or had fallen ill, that might explain poor hygiene and the smell. And display to drive off humans and other bears might explain standing, to make itself look larger, and screaming.

1 Like

The trolley ride goes off the rails.

1 Like

Wow, for real!

I remember hearing about that place, and thinking I wished I’d known about it sooner and could’ve taken my mom there when she was still healthy. She loved Andy Griffith, Gomer Pyle, Mayberry RFD, and Matlock. But then realized we weren’t missing much, just a tourist trap.

2 Likes

…and a bunch of Trump supporters.

2 Likes

Now how did that get up there? New study sheds light on development and evolution of dolphin, whale blowholes | UW News.

1 Like

Anyhow, this is interesting: From “Pronoia Is The Antidote For Paranoia”, by Rob Brezny -

Bullshit versus Horseshit

“Bullshit is a rare and valuable commodity,” rhapsodized Art Kleps in The Boo Hoo Bible. “The great masters have all been superb bullshitters. Horseshit, on the other hand, refers to downright crap. The free, playful, entertaining flight of ideas is bullshit, and more often than not will be found afterwards to accord perfectly with universal truth. Horseshit is contrived, derivative, superstitious, ignorant.”

“Bullshit is creative, inspired myth-making intended to provoke growth,” added Alan Cabal in the Village Voice, “while horseshit is bottom-feeder derivative manipulation aimed at the endless acquisition of slaves, servants and followers.”

6 Likes

Bullshit helps the flowers grow, and that’s beautiful.

3 Likes
1 Like
2 Likes
5 Likes

Princess Diana preferred to drive her own car and a member of the Royalty Protection Command (otherwise known as SO14) sat in the passenger seat.

The car sold on Saturday is believed to be unique as the first and only black RS Turbo Series 1 - as agreed between S014 and Ford for reasons of discretion - instead of the usual white manufactured model.

“This car was known as the ‘people’s sports car’ and the fact it was driven by the People’s Princess just nails it.”

2 Likes

Who cares? Give the money to charity.

I hope it’s true. I’d love to see some real treatments.
As someone who has studied marketing, it seems more likely that the sizzle of the dramatic drug is helping alcoholics to get help in a way that excites them, instead of making them feel like losers. And then once they are in the program, they actually have a therapist and personal attention that they have shut themselves out of.
But I hope they keep working with this; it will change many lives. And if it is all sizzle and not an actual effect of the drug, it’s still getting people help.

3 Likes

The other article I read about it described someone imagining having a heartfelt conversation with a family member who had wronged them years before and in another session having an underwater conversation with someone they looked up to and admired or something like that.

It seems entirely sensible that it could be an effective and potentially powerful therapy enhancer, given how it opens up the mind to not just normal visualization but full sensory immersion. Especially for people who have some kind of driving trauma or psychological issue.

However, it said nothing about people who drink because they like it, or just to relieve stress, or out of habit, or whatever.

And the study had a lot of problems (patients all knew whether they were getting the psilocybin or benadryl, the effects were self-reported, the patients were not very heavy drinkers, it didn’t adjust for effects of therapy vs drug, didn’t say anything about other psychological issues, and it was a very small, short study with no followup to determine relapse rate).

However, maybe it can get somebody funding to do a better study. And even if it doesn’t help everyone, it has potential that could eventually help a lot of people. One of my friends did the new ketamine assisted therapy, and it worked wonders for him.

It’s frankly kind of amazing that drug-assisted therapy is still so new and controversial. Especially considering that governments were experimenting with things like drug-assisted interrogation and ‘mind control’ so long ago.

3 Likes

I had a friend doing ketamine therapy but they found out she uses pot and they wouldn’t let her continue. She’s relied on pot for most of her life for emotional issues.

3 Likes