Well this is interesting

An estimated 500,000 trees are in the UK compared to 80,000 in California.

6 Likes

Police said they raided the centre on Thursday and rescued 383 Filipinos, 202 Chinese and 73 other foreign nationals.

4 Likes

ā€œBy using a spreadsheet anyone (even non-developers) can explore and play directly with how a ā€˜realā€™ transformer works under the hood with minimal abstractions to get in the way,ā€ writes Anand on the official website for the sheet, which he calls ā€œSpreadsheets-are-all-you-need.ā€ Itā€™s a nod to the 2017 research paper ā€œAttention is All You Needā€ that first described the Transformer architecture that has been foundational to how LLMs work.

1 Like

ā€¦ Iā€™m surprised everyone is so sanguine about encouraging an invasive species

Giant redwoods are being planted as saplings all over the country, often by local authorities in public parks or recreation grounds.

2 Likes

Given the lack of credible way back to the climate of the past, how do you adjudicate the management of the landscape without just letting the native plants die in the heat, drought, and inundation? Desertification is the likely result. Thereā€™s a gap between the desertification caused by human ignorance of unexpected consequences and the desertification caused by dead-eyed exploitation by large landowners. That gap used to be filled by indigenous practice and knowledge. We will have to fill the gap by coming back to the ultimate authority being a matter of practicality. The people who live in the region will be the people staffing and executing any remediation needed due to climate change and attempted mass despoliation. That means being under healthy democratic federations from the local level through the regional level to the very top of the we-pay-taxes-for-this-shit level.

4 Likes
5 Likes
3 Likes

Over the years, weā€™ve had ants, mice, and termites in our house. Just yesterday we had a pest inspector/salesman come by. She tried to interest us in getting the blown in insulation in the attic replaced by a different type of blown in insulation, for only $5000. !!! Part of her sales pitch was that it would replace that asbestos stuff we have.

Asbestos has been banned in construction since 1989. We had ours replaced sometime in the 2010s.

Later that day, my wife found an ant in the kitchen.

6 Likes
3 Likes

Vegas to LA. Thatā€™ll be useful.

3 Likes

I agree.

2 Likes

For the first time in ages we bought a fresh pineapple. Fortunately Iā€™ve cut them up before so I knew how to do it (with a knife that is; not a machete). It was delicious. But after the first big chunk of it (around 1/6 of the whole), I noticed my mouth felt weird, and not in a good way. Sort of a dry tingling sensation. Oh no! I thought. I must be allergic! And I donā€™t have other food allergies, so I donā€™t have an epipen!

Then I though, hmm, maybe Dr. Google would know.

Tickle my foot. It was most unpleasant.
But the fresh pineapple itself was wonderful.

4 Likes

Thatā€™s new to me.

3 Likes

Me too. Iā€™ve never noticed it before ā€“ but then Iā€™ve never had 1/6 of a pineapple at once before.

2 Likes
2 Likes

Gee I didnā€™t even notice that.

1 Like

Apparently the NTSB has a YouTube channel and a drone. This really gives you a feeling of the size.

I wasnā€™t searching for this, it was suggested.

4 Likes

Every one of those tiny little bits is a boxcar. Whew.

3 Likes

Appropriate:

4 Likes
1 Like