Well this is interesting

2 Likes

From 2022, but relevant.

3 Likes

That was really interesting. Seems like the summary was that 50mph winds were pushing them dangerously close to one bank, so they sped up to get more maneuverability, maneuvered hard to avoid hitting that bank, and the momentum from that carried them across towards the other bank so that they had to do the same again and then they ended up just having to keep speeding up and getting more momentum and steering harder, ping-ponging between the banks until they finally lost control and plowed into one.

Must’ve really sucked for the people on board, doing the only things they could do to avoid a wreck but that just kept causing it to get even more out of control. Glad I wasn’t the pilot or the captain.

4 Likes

Similar to a PIO.

The video’s portrayal of the modern scale of container ships is also very interesting.

5 Likes

If the auto industry made trains, we’d have more access to them in MI, or at least southeastern Michigan. As it is, bus services are much lacking, and they’re motor vehicles.

4 Likes
2 Likes

Busses suck. They are not a legitimate form of public transportation. They allow governments to pretend they are providing a service.

4 Likes

My town has a train station, which I was happy about when we moved here. Then I looked at the schedules for if I were to take the train to/from my company’s office. It takes 9 hours and I would get there late at night. The return trip would also be twice as expensive for some reason. Meanwhile Greyhound has a significantly cheaper bus that gets there in only 4 hours, in time for lunch.

I’ve moved to different states by Greyhound 3 times before. Trains were never an option for those trips. The bus is not wonderful, but at least it exists.

An hour’s drive north, where one of my coworkers lives, there’s a nicer coach bus line (that’s cheaper too) that runs a nonstop express 11 times a day and only takes 2 hours and 20 minutes. But since I don’t live there, Greyhound would still be my best option.

I’ve also used the city buses in at least 6 different cities. The only downside to them is the sparse schedules. Most places if you miss one you’ll be waiting quite awhile or walking. And a lot of times they don’t run late enough in the evening.

6 Likes

How is that possible? Is it HO-scale?

4 Likes

I’m not doubting you, just shocked.

For a few months in my life I commuted daily between Trenton and New York. That crossed the entire state of New Jersey — never topping 80 mph and making numerous stops — and only took 1.5 hours.

3 Likes
5 Likes

It first goes two states south for a few hours, then has a three hour layover before going two states east for a couple hours, and then back up north again to Boston.

Kind of a roundabout route when the straight shot by car (or by an express coach bus like the next sizable town up north has) is just over 100 miles and would be 2-2.5 hours.

Probably wouldn’t be enough passengers for a straight run of a full train. If the train did run, more people could move out here and not pay Boston prices. Chicken and the egg though.

5 Likes

Yeah. You need yourself a train, my friend.

4 Likes
4 Likes
5 Likes
6 Likes

Have you read this?

Very funny!

2 Likes

Wonder if any of these were ongoing during Taiwan’s earthquake.

Or a mohel at work, for that matter.

4 Likes
2 Likes

No. But I have seen this:

2 Likes