4 Likes
5 Likes
2 Likes
4 Likes
2 Likes

Reminds me of Rear Window.

3 Likes
3 Likes

I recently had to deal with McAfee, which charged me with something I supposedly subscribed to (I question this, but sure, let’s go with that). When the lady kept asking “Why are you leaving us?” I just said, “I want to cancel.” and I didn’t get pulled into her tactics. Of course she tried many times but I just kept saying “Cancel my service.” Finally she gave up.

5 Likes

Yes. Exactly like that. For 20 minutes.

1 Like

I do hope this was an actual one, and not one of those phishing emails that have been going around lately claiming to renew a subscription “unless you give verbal consent” and giving a phone number to call.

Been seeing a lot of those lately for McAfee, Quickbooks, etc. Luckily, I use single-purpose email addresses so I can quickly tell that if they were the actual vendor, they would have no business having the email they’re trying to contact. (well, also, it’s usually vendors I’ve never done business with in the first place, but that’s beside the point :slight_smile: )

Fun reading those sometimes. One email claiming to be from McAfee helpfully told me to " Please get in touch with us within 02 business hours if you decide not to use our services anymore and would like the whole sum reimbursed." Which, uh… yeah, sure a 2-business-hour time limit in an email for a supposed $400 charge, that seems legit.

5 Likes
3 Likes
3 Likes

… Mehta’s accent reminds me of Gilbert Gottfried

1 Like
6 Likes

It was a real transaction. I was able to login to my McAfee account and confirm they had charged me. Plus it hit the bank. They resolved it but then, of course, I had a bounced check fee that the bank refuses to take off.

6 Likes

Good to hear! The “good” being relative, of course, since, still frustrating and painful, but at least it’s not worse.

I’ve been seeing those phishing emails regularly enough lately that “McAfee subscription I didn’t order” set off alarm bells. :smiley:

5 Likes

This video, from the creator of McAfee, is still the first thing that always comes to mind when anyone mentions it:

4 Likes

WTAF?

I am stupider for having clicked on that.

5 Likes

Pretty dreadful. Francis Bacon could have done a better job, if he were still alive.

unnamed

3 Likes

It looks like a children’s book illustration from the 1960s.

2 Likes