Well this is interesting

3 Likes
2 Likes

:thinking:

6 Likes
2 Likes

I don’t know about other cities, but there’s neighborhoods in Detroit with blocks of streets named after well-known battle areas from WWI. Not all of them are in the same part of the city, though. City planning is weird.

3 Likes

We used to live in an area that had streets named after generals. They were small houses made right after WWII.

2 Likes

The video is unavailable now for some reason. There was a problem with the music being louder than the narration. Perhaps they’re fixing that.

In Center Line, which is within the city of Warren as a separate city, there’s a co-op like that; the 2 street names I remember are MacArthur and Westmoreland, though the former does run through Warren as well. There’s an apartment complex with all Western zodiac sign names for the streets in it. I’ve found that a great many of the MCM subdivisions in the suburbs seemed to be named after the daughters of the developers.

Lots of car-themed names, natch, old and new. I dunno, street names and their origins have always fascinated me.

3 Likes
3 Likes

Now that looks like a fun movie!

4 Likes
5 Likes

Interesting indeed.

This is off by 1000, but seems to be only visible in Discourse’s preview.
In the web page itself, “520,000” doesn’t appear anywhere; they get it correct:

Researchers used powerful X-rays to scan the 520-million-year-old fossil.

Very weird.

6 Likes

The headline is obvious. But, having been a high-level insider, he has a variety of interesting observations.

5 Likes

No, that’s not David Letterman.

3 Likes

He looks like he could be pretty fly were he a rabbi.

1 Like

I had some very close lightning this evening. So close I could see three individual flashes and hear the electricity arcing. It went “click-click-click” and then there was loud thunder.

5 Likes
2 Likes
2 Likes

While I work, I frequently listen to older radio programs. There is one actress who’s voice is immediately recognizable. Her name is Betty Lou Gerson.

Her voice gives the impression of someone educated, smart, and manipulative. She always reminds me of Katherine Hepburn in one of her more unctuous roles, like in “The Philadelphia Story” or “Suddenly Last Summer.”

She was ubiquitous on the radio dramas that originated in Hollywood, especially those from the 1940s. Whenever she appears in a drama or mystery program I always say to myself “OK, she did it.” It doesn’t matter what the crime or deceit is, she indeed always did it.

I decided to look her up and learn more about her.

It turns out I have known her voice for most of my life, but didn’t realize it. Her most iconic role is hidden in plain sight. She was the voice of Cruella De Ville.

7 Likes

7 Likes