Well this is interesting

I just watched X-Men: Apocalypse. Not a good film, but quite a bit like Man of Steel.

So now I’m guessing the sarcophagus contains General Zod.

6 Likes

Titles fixed.

4 Likes

Brendan Fraser is playing some pretty bleak characters in Trust and Condor.

He takes over the screen everytime he appears.

6 Likes

Words fail me:

13 Likes

What were they thinking? I mean, you never wear belt loops without a belt.

10 Likes

I assume two smaller belts, but as this does appear to be women’s fashion, perhaps it is still just one belt.

It has pockets though…

6 Likes

Daisey Duke you done put yer britches on upside-down! DANG!!

6 Likes

16 Likes
5 Likes

I hope someone who knows these people and can cherish these photos will be found. They’re very good family snaps – someone knew their way around a camera – and seeing them in original colour (Kodachrome?) makes them very immediate.

7 Likes
1 Like

Lovely photos

2 Likes

I was reminded by an article on Ars about the Martian Rovers, and went to check on Oppy’s status. It turns out, interesting things are currently happening on Mars…

6 Likes

That’s one of the truest things I’ve read on SMBC!

5 Likes

The plane is a B-36 Peacemaker, B-36D or one of the later variants. Interesting plane. Fits the mid-50’s timeframe. Someone might recognize the red fin stripe or the diagonal on the nose and know where it’s from. They might’ve stopped at Wake Island due to encountering some problem getting to or from Guam or Japan.

4 Likes

The rationales in the article are compelling, but I find it notable the “nonsense” tends to be religious. It correlates with how my (Android) phone assumes I’m swyping “God” instead of “good” all the time – you’d think the latter word would be used more frequently, even among religious people.

ETA: the link

6 Likes
2 Likes

A thread for the academics:

6 Likes

I mean, the joke here does write itself.

5 Likes

The response to the old line “religion is the last refuge of the desperate” is “yes, yes it is – now imagine how fucking desperate you have to be to find comfort in it.” I don’t begrudge anyone religion if that they’re desperate for comfort.

Evangelism, though, insisting everyone find refuge where you did – that’s not about religion, but power.

The Google thing seems to come from this notion that knowing the bible somehow makes you “good”, which puts it in the latter category, not the former.

9 Likes