Whatcha Watchin'?

I started rewatching Battlestar Galactica (2003) a couple weeks ago. I’ve never seen it all the way through before, and never the finale, just a few episodes here and there. I think it holds up pretty well (up to S01E08). The 9/11 influence seems clear. And Adama had some pretty frakking great ideas about network security.

9 Likes

Interesting. We just started watching it for the first time a few nights ago – almost finished with the first season miniseries. Very well done but . . . grim, with a capital G.

6 Likes

Cool, I hope you all enjoy it as much as I am. I wasn’t sure how it would be – you know how old favorites can disappoint – but it’s no work at all to see it favorably, it’s just good. And Grim. In a good way.

5 Likes

It really was that long ago. Whoa.

I remember …finding… The first season online from Sky since SyFy (?) hadn’t started showing it yet and bingeing it over a weekend. And then sharing it with my then boss who thought it was going to be terrible…until he binged it.

Second and third seasons I watched weekly as they came out, but the last two seasons didnt hold me as.well.

Great show. SO SAY WE ALL.

6 Likes

This doesn’t really count as “watching,” but…

Brilliant, biting, British satire. With approximately one public individual being skewered per minute.

4 Likes

Fans of

• Battlestar Galactica (especially the newer one)
  • Cosmos (especially the old one)
  • Egyptian and Roman history
  • paganism and polytheism

might like

The ending is very dark but it’s a historical event, whatcha gonna do :frowning:

8 Likes

So say we all.

5 Likes

I just find it amusing that Corner Gas predicted the ending.

2 Likes
(Just a little thing, please, don’t spoiler me. I have a guess but I don’t actually know.)
1 Like

Eeks. I won’t say more than I have, hopefully that was not too much, and I sincerely apologize if it was.

4 Likes

No, no, I probably didn’t need to say anything, I was just getting nervous.

3 Likes

They softened it a bit in the way they portrayed it, too.

2 Likes

I saw Black Panther last night and…
the hype is justified. For one thing, the story gives the background of the character and setting without making the whole film an origin story, and does it very neatly too.

And despite the (very well choreographed and enjoyable) action scenes, overall the film is very thoughtful – and thought-provoking. Whooole lot of economic and foreign policy positions being interrogated here.

There’s some genuinely gorgeous cinematography. I loved the shots of Okoye, crouched on top of a speeding car, sizing up her next spear throw while the skirt of her evening gown flows out behind her, as magical and brilliant as any superhero cape.

All the acting is fabulous too. Being a superhero film it probably won’t get nominated for Oscars – but it should.

Favourite minor fun bit – Martin Freeman’s very nasal, quite annoying American accent.

Aaaand that’s about as far as I can go without spoilers.

9 Likes

The Expanse season 2. :open_mouth:

Going to see Black Panther this afternoon!

8 Likes

SO SAY WE ALL!

(No reason to get excited).

4 Likes

I just watched that and it was fun. Definitely reminded me of the type of night I might’ve had in my younger days. :laughing: Thanks for the recommendation!

2 Likes

What you did there, I hear it.

2 Likes

April is super soon!!

8 Likes

I binged this series. Yeah!!! Was so good. Cannot wait for Season 2.

3 Likes

I finally got around to watching Stranger Things and wound up watching the whole damn thing into the middle of the night to finish it. I think I liked it more than the first season, especially fleshing out the other characters a lot more in a natural way.

Also, it ends on the best dad (mom?) joke:

7 Likes