Whatcha Watchin'?

I honestly have never liked Dr. Who, but I’m squeeing so hard over this pic. :heart_eyes_cat:

8 Likes

PUNISHER SEASON 2

Also hoping Endeavour season 6 and The Tick season 2 start someday soon…

2 Likes

Try the American version of Being Human, see what you think.

2 Likes

Perhaps the feel of cultural fetishism was stronger in the show, and localized to just this couple/client. I was cringing every time they were on.

1 Like

I’m sure I’ll watch it eventually. When I read the book, Kondo didn’t speak English and all interviews were done via an interpreter. I’m assuming she learned English if she’s now doing the TV show.

2 Likes

Nope!
She rolls with her interpreter.
The cut-aways to her segments about specific techniques are done via subtitles.

4 Likes

i haven’t seen the show (Kondo-mania drives me crazy), but fwiw the Slate Culture Gabfest podcast this week talks about it, and they dwell on the topic of potential cultural fetishism for a bit – but then ended up deciding that it’s not a factor in her popularity because she is quick to establish a commonality with the people she’s helping, and also she’s so clearly aware of how she’s seen and how she brands herself. she’s not “othered” that way. (but then again i haven’t seen it, so i can’t really say for sure that’s how it comes off to me)

1 Like

This makes me happy.

3 Likes

Ditto.

I have my own feelings about some of the stuff she espouses- her 30 books thing especially sets my teeth on edge. But the show is kinda interesting- she treats the process as one of self discovery and healing, and not one of punitive condemnation. The people she helps seem genuinely improved by the process- and they often have/keep large-ish collections as well.
I had thought it might be like that horrid Hoarders show, but it isn’t. It’s better than that.

I’m still keeping my books, though. Every. Single. One.

6 Likes

I love books. The uproar over Kondo’s remarks on books annoys me.

Like you said, people get to keep their collections. You collect books. You get to keep them.

The “30 books” remarks are for people who, sure, own books, but they’re not exactly book lovers. Yet they have hundreds of the things.

I now have to 3 full bookshelves. I used to have 4. The fourth bookshelf’s worth of books were stuff I didn’t even like, or horribly out of date text books I never used.

5 Likes

Yay! I get to keep my dust!

More seriously, I have a room in my house set aside as a library (slash occasional guest room). My books are going nowhere.

But then, I don’t really have a clutter problem, and when I do, it’s more of a “not putting things away” problem than a “not throwing things out” problem.

6 Likes

And racism in the criticsm. Yup.

4 Likes

Yup. People are deliberately misinterpreting her.

Even “sparks joy” gets misinterpreted. No, your frying pan doesn’t literally make you happy, but you might be fairly miserable if you didn’t have it. And is there a reason you have six nearly identical frying pans, two of them warped?

Or, thanking the item for its service. It seems corny to me, but for someone else that may provide the psychological closure they need to get rid of Aunt Mary’s fugly lamp that they were mostly holding onto out of guilt.

Another trick I heard for clothes was to hang everything in your closet flipped around from the way you normally do (or hook the hangers over the rod backwards) then as you wear, wash and re-hang them put them in the right way. Anything left backwards after about a year (to account for seasonal shifts) can go (with a rare exception for something that has extreme emotional attachment). For drawers, store things inside-out, initially.

If something works for you, great. If it doesn’t, find something that does, or get comfortable with clutter.

7 Likes

north by northwest.

Leonard: It’s an old Gestapo trick. Shoot one of your own people to show that you’re not one of them. They’ve just freshened it up a bit with blank cartridges.

rather exacting cinematography. Tightly Plotted. Nice to see a young Martin Landau.
a most problematic film, though.

3 Likes

When ever I’m sad, I’ll either watch a video with Big Boi from Outkast talking about his love for Kate Bush… or this picture.

4 Likes

He’s STILL alive, though! So IS…

5 Likes

My bad, I mistook the wrong blurb when checking Google. Geez, I’m losing my edge.

4 Likes

You just scared me for a minute there!

4 Likes

ME TOO! I was all like, soooo sad!

3 Likes

At least we know he’s still alive!

3 Likes