Whatcha Watchin'?

I am obsessed with this show.

Perhaps because it is so very good, or because I am personally so very dark and jaded… or maybe because, quite ironically, it’s now my responsibility to process the Accidental Death insurance policy applications at my job.

O_o

6 Likes

Animated swirly warning. Of the best kind! If you’re into it. If falling forever into her eyes in a hypnotized trance is your thing. Fortunately the shades pic breaks up the sequence a little.

4 Likes

I never saw Titans.

Like I said, this is DC’s version of Legion, or maybe a live-action Drawn Together.

2 Likes

Wait what?! O_o indeed. You don’t curl up in a ball very easily.

3 Likes

:question:

I process people’s applications to get insured, not any benefits paid out.

6 Likes

Oh. Not claims then. Well, then I should probably migrate to the intoxicated thread.

4 Likes

Forged in Fire is Project Runway for blacksmiths. Prove me wrong.

5 Likes

Congratulations your feet will strut.

3 Likes

boogie nights.

5 Likes

omfg this scene. i haven’t seen it since i saw it on the big screen, and i’m STILL scarred.

4 Likes

fyi, it’s on amazon prime video until the 28th.

1 Like

“I think Star Trek V is pretty legit, pretty realistic, particularly from having been made thirty years ago.”

4 Likes

Watched all the Best Picture nominees for Oscar in a 24-hour marathon. Then, I watched the Oscars.

I can only think that Green Book won because people were split in catergories like Black Panther and BlacKkKlansman or they were afraid of controversy.
Green Book was okay but it sanded the edges off of history.

Roma did not play at the theater and I fell asleep before A Star is Born.

In order of personal preference of movies I did see:

The Favorite
BlacKkKlansman
Black Panther
Vice
Bohemian Rhapsody
Green Book

In general, all the movies had solid performances.

2 Likes

Green Book was the movie about Jim Crow where the black actors were nominated for “supporting roles”? The more I read about that one, the more problems I’m reading about.

9 Likes

Green Book was cute as long as you accepted it for what it was, but I didn’t think it was Best Movie material. More lighthearted feel good fare. The performances were fun. BoRap also fun and well crafted but not a best movie. The Favorite was good but I can see it’s not everyone’s taste. I haven’t seen the others but I am pro Spike Lee in all things.

6 Likes

Has anyone here seen BlacKKKlansman? I was all ready to see it and then a friend of a friend claimed she “scream-cried until she was too dehydrated to cry” in the theatre. That took me aback, since most reviews said it had funny bits. What’s everyone else’s take?

4 Likes

I give it a strong thumbs-up, but in comparison, I thought Green Book was a joke for being ridiculously servile to the white narrative of history.

The humor of Blackkklansman comes out both in the situation and the portrayals, I think. Topher Grace as David Duke is classic. There’s also plenty of tense moments and holding up the mirror, but what Spike Lee joint doesn’t do that?

Scream-crying…what exactly did your friend mean by that? Did she mean she cringed?

6 Likes

No, more like open-mouthed crying with screamy sounds. Me, I’d leave the theatre if I was freaking out that loudly, if only for the sake of the other patrons.

She’s big on performative white guilt though. I’m trying to think of a nicer way of putting that, but can’t.

Thanks for the mini-review. That synchs with what I’d expect from a Spike Lee film.

3 Likes

I think I’m going to have myself a Spike Lee movie marathon pretty soon, starting with She’s Gotta Have It.

4 Likes

At the end of BlacKkKlansman, there is footage of the Charlottesville rally with video of the car attack. There is also a graphic description of a lynching. Like Do The Right Thing, it has comedic elements while addressing heavy issues.

I can see why Spike Lee almost walked out of the ceremony when Green Book got the Oscar.

7 Likes