Whatcha Watchin'?

You’re entitled to your opinion.

For me, it was all style over substance; equally as underwhelming as Prometheus, and just as pretty… but that’s all it was. But then again, I’m not the target demographic, either; as long as cis/het White dudes are happy, that’s all that matters.

3 Likes

i really hate hearing that. i thought prometheus was dismal. one of the worst movies i saw that year. the acting, the story, and the plot were so bad i didn’t even notice whether it was pretty or not. the actions of all the characters were so stupid and illogical it got to the point that every time a character had to make a decision i thought “what is the most stupid, life-threatening and illogical choice possible here” and sure enough that was what the character did.

in my opinion, the original “blade runner” was a useful film because it made a moral statement about slavery that would force a white audience to have to rethink their beliefs about the harms of slavery because the slaves in this case were all white. it annoys the fuck out of me that this film apparently washes out so badly on that score.

btw, my go to movie for when i’m dealing with a facebook friend or a personal acquaintance who tries to argue the notion that “slavery wasn’t so bad because . . .” is this one:

it’s merciless.

3 Likes

Sorry; I’m not trying to taint your perspective on a film that you haven’t seen yet, so my bad.

Perhaps the comparison to Prometheus is unfair, because that really was one mess of a movie; one which certain friends of mine are still trying to convince me it “wasn’t so bad.”

O_o

That said, the emotional disconnect makes it hard for me not to compare the two films; both were incredible to look at in regards to the cinematography, and yet both still left me feeling completely indifferent when it came to the characters.

3 Likes

since i’m not in that perceived demographic, and yet i loved it, i’m not sure where that leaves us.

it has as least as much substance (actually far more) than the recent Mad Max movie, and that was praised to the heavens.

3 Likes

Okay, now I just think you have crappy tastes in movies if you think BR2049 had “substance” but Fury Road somehow didn’t… but whatevs; life goes on.

You do you, and I’ll continue to do me.

Cheers.

2 Likes

ha! and i think you need to see Blade Runner again. :kissing_heart:

agreeing to disagree, but we’ll see which one stands the test of time.

No offense intended, but I’d rather go have my teeth cleaned at the dentist;

At least that doesn’t take three hours that seem to drag on endlessly, and I’m actually invested in the final outcome.

8 Likes

that’s sad. i was really appalled by “prometheus” to the extent that 30 or 40 minutes in i started watching it with an eye towards the concept of “so bad it’s funny” but it didn’t even meet that standard. otoh, i thought “fury road” was outstanding.

6 Likes

Prometheus was a dismal film with a lack of imagination and zero respect for the intelligence of its audience. I was happy that the new Blade Runner wasn’t any of those things; in my opinion, if you enjoyed the world the first movie created, you’ll very much appreciate spending another three hours exploring it. Based on reviews and the reactions I’ve seen online, most people seem to agree.

1 Like

I’m watching (more like listening) to the Internet Archive livestream of “20th Century Time Machine - The Internet Archive’s Annual Celebration LIVE”

3 Likes

just saying: for a fun, pretty in-depth exploration of Blade Runner 2049, Adam Savage and co-hosts at Tested.com are on it:

2 Likes

Moving right along;

I just finished Ep 1 of the second season of Van Helsing;

I’m ain’t mad.

3 Likes

Most people think the original is good as well, doesn’t make them right. /snark

2 Likes

Well, I mean, let’s be honest: the original film was a box office bomb that became a cult noir/sci-fi favorite over the past 30-some years, but is still very much a niche film that a lot of people feel is ‘style over substance’ or simply boring and pointless. When I heard box office projections of the new movie anywhere from $50 to $80 million, I had to laugh; a three-hour-long slow-moving atmospheric meditation on the nature of humanity is going to have its own niche audiences. Some will dig the heck out of it and others will feel the way they did about the original. No worries.

5 Likes

I loved it but I know haters hate it and it didn’t do well financially. I plan on seeing it in the theater a second time.

I thought it was beautiful and I liked the performance of the actors. I’m a huge fan of the director (since Sicario) as well.

I did think this was a problem, especially given how this is supposed to be a hyper-multiethnic LA. They also excised almost all “cityspeak” that I loved in the original. No weird dialect of English/Japanese/Spanish at all.

5 Likes

Really, this got flagged?

6 Likes

I thought it would be obvious that I was kidding with the Goodfellas reference about my obvious reluctance to rewatch a movie that bored me, but

UNFUCK 'EM, IF THEY CAN’T TAKE A JOKE.

8 Likes

The more I thought about it, the more it seems like a deliberate choice (for reasons not clear to me) rather than just lazy casting. In thinking back to the child slave pit scene, I remember it being a room of hundreds of identical androgynous white kids, and many of the main characters were ivory-white people – which, in a world with little to no sunlight, makes sense, and visually makes them stand out against the dark dreary backgrounds. I’m not saying it was a good choice, but I’d be curious to know the thinking behind it.

1 Like

don’t look at me. i may disagree with you 100%, but i don’t think i’ve ever flagged anything here ever.

7 Likes

I wasn’t, actually; although we obviously don’t agree, you remained amicable the whole time. Who knows, maybe I hurt some poor little fangirl’s fee-fees with my sarcastic opinions…

I know my humor is often on the coarse and bawdy side; but I’ve always owned that, and I’m not going to change any time soon.

9 Likes