Whatcha Watchin'?

lots of animated gifs for your delectation.

1 Like

Anyone seen this? It looks GOOD.
(flashing & related visuals warning)

I’m currently binging this show.

2 Likes
2 Likes

I’m still binging on this and will continue with “Fernwood 2Night” and “Forever Fernwood”.

The series has aged extremely well. I think I mentioned before I didn’t watch it in my youth (past bedtime/parents not thinking I should watch it), but I was aware of it, as I did pay attention to what was going on media-wise, due to my incredible curiosity.

This specific episode was aired on 2/23/1977. And even though it’s a parody/satire (which I would’ve recognized at 12-going-on-13 from reading MAD magazine & watching MPFC, among other things) it’s based on the truth of the moment. I’m kinda glad the folks didn’t let me watch it - it would’ve scared me (like reading about the Manson Family did just four years earlier did) to find out that kind of organizing was going on.

3 Likes

Oh.

So far this is great!

Seriously, I think I was a singer on the Keith Circuit in a former life
you know the kind I mean: Too good to be a never-was, but not good enough to become a has-been.

And the idea of a world without radio, movie theatres, and television holds a strong fascination for me.

2 Likes

I’ve been watching clips from a documentary maker who interviewed and did surveys of a bunch of people in the 60s. What people around town thought of the Vietnam War, what it was like for the veterans to come home from it, what it was like to be growing up as a kid during the Civil Rights movement, what parents thought of the youth back then, etc.

Some of them are just straight interviews from 1968 or whatever, others have the guy who made the films narrating them in the present tense and talking about how things have changed and what things were actually like (in hindsight) vs what the people he talked to thought they were like at the time.

Some really good stuff here. I can definitely recommend:

The titles sound like clickbait, but the clips are real film of my parents’ generation, and to me fascinating.

Next up for me is He Reveals What 1950s “Real” Men Thought & Felt & Did & Didn’t Do. An Ordinary Man Speaks His Truth

4 Likes

This is the most captivating dance I’ve ever watched. It is simply a feat of endurance and beauty. I watched it twice - performed by a man and then a woman in the lead.

I think the way this works is that a principal dancer comes into a city, trains the corps de ballet in those parts, and then they put on a performance at the end of the training period.

I’d love to find out more about this work. I am putting this version here because the quality is much better, but if you are interested in seeing the woman perform the lead, her name is Sylvie.

4 Likes

Oh. Dear.

I used to not like OW, but then I read the first volume of the 3-vol. biography of him by Simon Callow and it made me see him in a new light. And then I read “My Lunches with Orson”, a book of lunchtime conversations between director/writer/actor Henry Jaglom from the 1980s (which I highly recommend). I wish I could’ve known him; someone who didn’t resist change, who embraced it, but was constrained by those who thought/think that only the formulaic is profitable.

(plus, the doco title is what I think about myself in regards to my art, lol)

2 Likes

Young Gandalf?

2 Likes

My fave is #20 - what’s yours?

1 Like

Just finished this:

If the above sounds interesting to you, I humbly suggest you look for a different show. If, however, you’d like to watch a 6 episode miniseries that ignores its A plot for at least three quarters of its runtime in favor of juggling a handful of unrelated B and C plots that get hastily and conveniently resolved in the last episode, while resolving the main mystery in approximately the least satisfying way possible, then this show is for you!

3 Likes

Sounds like it’s ripe for a Dark Corners reviews on YouTube.

2 Likes

i quote #19 and #5
 often. let’s just put it that way.

2 Likes

I’m finally watching “Columbo” from the very beginning - “Prescription Murder”.

3 Likes

He’s so young.

3 Likes

I know
and played the character up till 2003!

The first one was so weird to watch, he hadn’t gotten the character’s look, quite yet.

Addendum: I know what it was: His hair was too styled, and he wasn’t rumpled enough.

3 Likes

Just listen to him
didn’t Maurice LaMarche do a great job of voicing him on “Futurama”?

1 Like
2 Likes

I adored him on “Match Game” when I was a kid, and as the antagonist in “Lidsville”! No idea what homosexuality was about, and didn’t care. Acceptance and trust in nearly anyone.

and then i hit puberty.

2 Likes