Whatcha Watchin'?

Great premise, great cast, sadly mediocre script.

4 Likes

Ah yes, saw that years ago. And you’re right the cast was great but the story not so much.

I love Michael Caine though. My favorites of his are Educating Rita and Deathtrap.

5 Likes

I liked the first couple of seasons, but I thought the last season was terrible. I don’t intend to watch any more unless I hear rave reviews from a number of independent sources.

I know his interpretation was
well
 unique, but to me, weird, twitchy Jeremy Brett was the definitive Sherlock Holmes.

7 Likes

I just finished watching Trapped on Netflix. It’s a great little Icelandic noir—murder and corruption in a small Icelandic town cut off by a blizzard. Ten episodes.

10 Likes

I liked this one.

11 Likes

I’ve debated getting that one for my father, who’s a big Holmes fan
 but since it’s looking more at the end of Sherlock’s life, I wasn’t sure if it would be too depressing or downbeat. What do you think?

3 Likes

It could be. Maybe watch it first then decide.

2 Likes

Let’s not forget

well, it’s not that good. It’s a joy to see Gene Wilder, Marty Feldman, and Madeline Kahn being loony together, and scenes with Leo McKern as Moriarty and Dom DeLouise are bonkers, but a classic it’s not.

7 Likes

Wasn’t Mycroft Sherlock’s smarter brother?

Did he have two smarter brothers?

8 Likes

Gene Wilder plays his “actually” smarter brother, Sigerson Holmes. The movie oddly forgets all about Mycroft and “Siggy” Holmes spends most of the movie trying to get Madeline Kahn in bed, not solve crimes. It’s a very silly film.

6 Likes

This is pretty well known, but just in case someone hasn’t seen it:

Recreating from memory, there is one great blink-and-you’ll-miss-it scene from this movie. Holmes and Watson are visiting Sigmund Freud:

Watson: "Holmes, there is no time to lose! A woman is in danger!"
Holmes (distracted): “Women are always dangerous, Watson.”
[Cut to reaction shot: Significant glance from Freud.]

Another Holmes-related flick with a wonderful performance by George C. Scott:

7 Likes

I think I remember this one. It’s silly indeed, which is why I liked it.

2 Likes

I read The Seven Percent Solution about 30 years ago. I liked it at the time, and I thought it fit right in with the Holmes canon even though it really wasn’t canon at all. It might be worth a reread if I can ever find it again.

I had no idea it was a movie.

2 Likes

i haven’t seen it, but it’s Ian McKellen, so it’s bound to be worthwhile. he’s SO good.

5 Likes

You’re exactly right - not one of the best or funniest movies but it does have its hilarious moments.

2 Likes

I think Gene Wilder invented the second one, Sigersund, who always referred to his more famous brother as “Sheer Luck.”

3 Likes

Same for Gene Wilder’s “World’s Greatest Lover.”

1 Like

Clearly the smarter Holmes!

3 Likes

I’ve read that Patriot will be renewed for a second season. I thoroughly loved the first, and am looking forward to the second. As strange and jarring as Mr. Robot, but dark comedy.

Still hanging on to The Walking Dead, but they may have finally lost me. The first episode of season 8 would likely have been the finale if someone had the sense to squeeze a trigger. Both this and Fear the Walking Dead practically bend over backwards to create scenarios that could have been circumvented by characters with subzero IQs.

6 Likes

Whatever season started with Neegan. I read the review of the first episode and knew I was done with the series.

4 Likes