Whatcha Watchin'?

We actually rewatched the whole series, since my daughter wanted to watch it too. The 7th season felt kind of short, though (I mean it is shorter, episode wise), but you see things starting to come together, too, so it felt pretty satisfying in that way.

But yeah, lighter fare mixed in with GoT is a great idea! Although, I kind of want to rewatch the whole thing again before the new season next year! I found rewatching it this go round I picked up on a number of subtleties that I missed first time round. I re-read the books pretty recently, too. I wonder when The Winds in Winter will be out? Hopefully, by early next year.

5 Likes

I expect some time after Disney stops making Star Wars movies.

4 Likes

Mrs Cynical has never seen Lost and itā€™s just appeared on Netflix, so we are currently binge-watching it. I really enjoyed it the first time I saw it (weekly, as it was broadcast) and, even knowing the ending is a bit of a cop out, it holds up remarkably well on a second viewing, years later.

There are a lot of quite subtle things that hint at the ultimate conclusion all the way from the first episode. Mrs Cynical has put me on notice that if I cackle about any more foreshadowing, sheā€™s going to stop watching it, thoughā€¦

4 Likes

We went to see A Wrinkle In Time last night. Not perfect, with a couple of changes that didnā€™t really contribute anything, a missing favorite character, and a couple of pacing oddities, but much better than the best forgotten 2003 garbage fire adaptation. Squarely aimed more for kids/YA rather than a nostalgia thing for people who read it decades ago, but thatā€™s probably a good thing.

I kind of forgot just how ridiculously trippy the entire thing was. In my imagination, alien witch-angels traveling at will through the spacetime continuum and planets where individuality is destroyed by a tyrannical giant brain are de rigeur, I guess :wink:

When I saw the trailer I worried about the over-the-top visuals, especially at Oprah with a pound of costume jewelry glued to her face ā€“ but in the context of the movie it totally worked.

I also kind of hope, if there must be sequels, they donā€™t try too closely to follow the plots of the other books. Iā€™d love to see Proginoskes and Louise the Larger on the silver screen but maybe not so much the dancing with midichlorians mitochondria or the heavy-handed Christian messaging and problematic depictions of other human cultures.

7 Likes

Right? I read one review complaining everyone just accepts the Mrs. Ws, and basically everyone is either a kid (for whom the universe is kind of arbitrary anyhow) or an adult whoā€™s already seen plenty of weird stuff.

I watched it with my nieces, aged 7 and 9, and they were glued to the screen the whole time. The 9yo later said she thought the beginning part was too slow, but then it picked up. (She loved Veronica getting a basketball to the face though.)

ETA: the kid who played Charles Wallace impressed the hell out of me. As did the other kid actors, but he had to deliver all those lines, and he totally nailed them.

4 Likes

My daughter and I THOROUGHLY enjoyed this gem of a movie on Amazon.

Things we liked:

1. One actress playing both twins - always fun
  2. The cinematography was epic - lovingly recreating the feeling of womenā€™s magazines and ads of the various eras
  3. Watching the Dear Abby hairdo grow and grow and grow into the monstrous creation it was by the end of her life
  4. A sweet story of two sisters who loved each other way too much sometimes
  5. A nice calming, fun movie for when you arenā€™t wanting anything too emotionally draining
5 Likes

One more ep to go.

Iā€™m taking bets on who dies and how in the final season.

4 Likes

Frankly, having previously watched to the end of Season 6, Iā€™m shocked that anyone made it to the final season.

7 Likes

Someone has got to sit on the Iron Throne!

6 Likes

One reason I donā€™t watch the show; losing one or two characters is OK, but so many of them (as Iā€™ve heard)? I get too attached to them!

4 Likes

Oh, donā€™t worry. None of the characters youā€™d actually get attached to end up dead.

</blatant-lies>

7 Likes

They make up for it by killing the characters you hate, too.

6 Likes

So zero-sum game then.

4 Likes

3 characters whose imminent demises Iā€™ve never been overly worried about in the very short time Iā€™ve been watching:
Jon, Dany, and Tyrion.
(Admittedly, the writers may choose to sacrifice one of these three in s8, for that extra ā€œtwist.ā€)

Everyone else is ā€œfair game.ā€

4 Likes

Ser Davos for the Iron Throne! :heart:

3 Likes

Throne made of swords. For all we know it will with a pan out of everyone empaled on the iron throne.

2 Likes

Daenerys-oh

(JK, Davos is awesome!)

Iā€™d add to that at least two of the Starks will still be around - Bran, as heā€™s the 3 eyed raven (though the end of the White Walkers could be the end of the 3 Eyed Raven, too, and Sansa, since sheā€™s shown some major development as character and is doing a good job as Lady of Winterfell. I think Arya might end up dead due to pure overestimation of her abilities on her part. I also think Yara will end up ruling in the iron Islands.

3 Likes

Maybe on the original version George RR Martin envisioned:

Not so much, the TV version, though.

6 Likes

Maybe, maybe not; especially given the horrible luck the Stark offspring have had ever since the beginning of the series.

Branā€™s role as the 3-eyed raven seems more like an exposition device rather than anything truly pivotal to the narrative, so I could easily see him being killed off at the height of the conflict.

I agree about Arya, and have been utterly underwhelmed by Sansa, character growth notwithstanding.

I also agree about Yara if she survives. Remember, Euron is supposed to be even worse than Ramseyā€™s bitch ass.

ETA: No idea why the spoiler tags are not working for me.

4 Likes

Could be, although Iā€™d be inclined to think that the fortunes are turning around now? But maybe not. They are on the front line of the great war that actually matters. As for Bran, heā€™s the one who can reveal Jonā€™s true parentage and along with Sam, can show that heā€™s the true heir, not Dany. And yeah, Euron could be worse than Ramsey, but he hasnā€™t seemed that bad yet - just a typical reaver.

Weird.

2 Likes