Whatcha Watchin'?

Try deleting the space after the first [spoiler] tag?

2 Likes

he’s one of the very few left who not only has the chops, but who i also believe would be an actual GOOD ruler. which makes me fear for him, of course, because it seems clear that nobody that good can survive in Westeros, alas.

4 Likes

Attempting to use spoiler tags again:

I think once Bran shares his info, he becomes disposable.

Think about it, for all the raven’s insight into ‘everything’ how useful has that actually been to the people of Westeros, most of whom don’t even know such a thing exists? Also despite the ‘all knowing’ claims, 3 Eyed Bran didn’t know that Jon’s birth parents were married until Samwell Tarly told him.

As for Euron, that bit about him being even worse than Ramsey comes directly from actor interviews and from Martin himself.

As you can see above, that made no difference.

@LockeCJ; any thoughts?

2 Likes

I edited your post and moved the spoiler tags to their own line. That seems to have fixed it.

That seems to work for both posts, so I would say this:

• For single line spoilers, leading and ending tags are fine.
  • For multi-line spoilers, put the tags on their own lines.
8 Likes

Okay.

testing

testing 123

Hmmm… something’s hinky.

That said, call me cruel but I’d melt the iron throne down and just start over; that thing is ugly as hell.

4 Likes

Which? TV or the GRRM version above?

3 Likes

Both, to be frank; though destroying it would be a symbolic act of changing the way that world is ruled.

5 Likes

I dunno. The one in the books plays really well into the themes of power, and the danger it poses to both the ruler and the subject. And I think that picture has a terrifying loveliness to it.

On the other hand, the one in the show looks like someone was given the instruction: “Make a throne out of swords, and do it in the most boring and least expensive way you can.”

6 Likes

Those are all fair points. Maybe Bran will go out in a direct confrontation with the Night King, although I’d be included to believe it’s going to come down to either the NK and Jon or the NK and Melissandra (since she said she has to come back to Westeros to die. As for him having to be told - I guess that’s the problem he can be all seeing, but he has to specifically look at that moment to see it. He has to know what to look for, I guess, so someone like Sam is useful, in that he’s well read on history. In the books, there are lots more Greyjoys (and Martells and Targaryans, for that matter) and the storylines for both places are greatly streamlined in the show, which probably makes sense. In the show, Ramsey seems far worse, but I think I remember Euron being worse in the books.

[ETA] The weird thing that was happening to @Melizmatic just happened to me, and I think I’ve figured it out - it doesn’t like paragraph breaks? It was not spoiler tagged, then I went and took out the paragraph breaks, and then it was spoiler tagged.

It’s true! Entirely unimpressive!

5 Likes

Fair enough; I’ve never read the books, and only just recently binged the series.

It is pretty damn hideous and underwhelming.

The act of melting it all down (and reforging new swords from the metal) would make a statement about casting off the old tyranny and making a fresh start.

Westeros has a metric fuckton of ‘baggage…’

4 Likes

Not the metaphor I would like to see; it makes the whole thing cyclical.

If the Iron Throne is going to be melted down, I’d want it to be reforged as something for the people; half of the story is about how much the high lords screw over the common folk in jockeying for position and power.

If the Iron Throne is a symbol of “The fighting is over, and you [everyone but the Targaryens] lost,” I’d want whatever it’s melted down and replaced with to symbolize “The fighting is over, and now your children can stop dying for the folly of lords and knights and kings.”

4 Likes

Even better; I was just thinking of not wasting all that metal needlessly. They really harp upon “Valerian steel” and how rare it is.

4 Likes

yeah, exactly. i thought the point of it (no pun intended) was that it was supposed to appear threatening and also be simultaneously uncomfortable for whoever sits in it, as a constant reminder that “you may be next.”

6 Likes

Valerian steel ploughshares would make a strong statement, but they’d probably all just be bought up by rich hobby farmers.

6 Likes

Saw A Wrinkle in Time with my daughter. We both liked it a lot. I think they did a nice job of interpreting the ideas visually; was very conceptual. I liked a lot of the little touches, like using people of color as extras throughout, or having portraits of people of color and women on the walls. There were a couple of things I wished they’d done that they didn’t, but overall it was nice. The kid who played Charles Wallace nailed the part. Exactly how I remember the character. It was a kid’s movie and a Disney movie - I think there could have been a more sophisticated take on it - but we needed to see the message at the time and it delivered a wonderful feeling of the solidarity of women to create change in this world.

7 Likes

The film from which this scene came; I didn’t know that Cherokee Productions was a company of James Garner’s, but now that I do, I respect his talents even more than ever!

(Note the green of Bruce Dern’s eyes, set off by his shirt…yes, I had a crush on him - I don’t care that he plays villains, lol!)
6 Likes

My parents watched The Rockford Files, but I don’t really remember it. Garner blew me away in The Notebook, though – a film I otherwise hated. They should have had him play the younger version of the character too. Ditto for Divine Secrets of the Ya Ya Sisterhood.

6 Likes

He was in “Space Cowboys” sans his toupee. I grew up watching him on TRFs, and later when my mom was housebound, watched him in the original “Maverick” TV series. And he was great in “My Fellow Americans” with Jack Lemmon.

3 Likes

So did my Gram, and I also don’t remember much about the show. Oddly enough, I do remember the show he did right after that, though; Bret Maverick a reboot of the old western series.

(My Gram loved her some James Garner.)

4 Likes

ok, reached the end of season one of the Frankenstein Chronicles.

omg.

DEFINITELY looking forward to season two.

3 Likes