Whatcha Watchin'?

Today is Joan Crawford’s birthday, so TCM is showing her films during their daytime lineup.

Here’s a tribute video. I’m gonna watch it after I finish posting; I doubt if it has Raymond Massey saying in “Possessed” that he’s “aging visibly”, lol!

5 Likes

Can I leave you and your dreams with this?
http://www.footbag.org/events/

1 Like

Even with a nod to the origin story of Hellcat, I was underwhelmed overall.

I felt satisfied at the end of S1, whereas with S2 it was just depressing.

3 Likes

S1 certainly had a clear resolution — villain defeated, normal life restored. S2 was grimmer and sadder, without a real ending, just a setup for S3. Still, I thought it was well done.

I felt there was a lot of unnecessary filler, but as I said earlier, I’ve never really got into the Marvel story line, so I probably missed the significance of a lot of it.

As a unicorn chaser to all the angst and grimness, here’s:

A low key story about two amiable geeks obsessed by their hobby of metal detecting. Written by and starring Mackenzie Crook (Gareth from The Office, Orell from Game of Thrones).

A show you’ll like a lot if you like that sort of thing.

4 Likes

Rachael Stirling? Okay, you have my attention. (Rachael Stirling is awesome).

3 Likes

I just looked her up and realized I had seen her in The Bletchley Circle and Their Finest. You’ll like her in Detectorists, although her role gets bigger in Season 2.

2 Likes

Who forgot to tell me the second season of Santa Clarita Diet was on NetFlix?

5 Likes

My kid?

She woke me up this morning to tell me that; not even kidding.

5 Likes

Guess what I’m watching right now?

3 Likes

Santa Clarita Diet?

4 Likes

Indeed.

3 Likes

Watched a pair of scary movies last night, one of which was great one of which kind of sucked.

Under the Shadow is a film set during the Iran-Iraq war, with a woman and her kid in an apartment in Tehran (the dad/husband has been sent to the front) when weird shit starts to happen after a bomb lands on their apartment building, but doesn’t explode:

Very tense, with some very good jump scares towards the end, but more psychological horror than violent, bloody horror.

And then III: The Ritual, which had some cool imagery, but literally had no plot to speak of:

I highly recommend the former and not at all the latter.

4 Likes

Scary (more or less) movies I’ve seen and enjoyed recently. None have supernatural elements, if that’s your thing.

Hush
Scare factor :fearful::fearful::fearful::fearful: Violence :japanese_ogre::japanese_ogre::japanese_ogre::japanese_ogre:

Green Room
Scare factor :fearful::fearful::fearful::fearful::fearful: Violence :japanese_ogre::japanese_ogre::japanese_ogre::japanese_ogre::japanese_ogre:

I Don’t Feel at Home in this World Anymore
Scare factor :fearful::fearful::fearful: Violence :japanese_ogre::japanese_ogre::japanese_ogre: Dark humour :imp::imp::imp: Think low-budget Coen brothers.

Take Me
Scare Factor :fearful: Violence :japanese_ogre: Dark humour :imp::imp::imp:

6 Likes

I have to definitely give two thumbs up for I Don’t Feel at Home in this World Anymore. It definitely sucks you in.

6 Likes

I finally got around to Green Room, which was excellent and I Don’t Feel At Home in This World Anymore is on my list to see… maybe Hush is too.

2 Likes

Of the four I listed, it’s my favourite, and the only one I’d rewatch.

4 Likes

Over the weekend we watched

and

Both great classics. The latter is referenced in Sleepless In Seattle.

6 Likes

Started slow-binging it; I’m surprised how good it is so far.

Sophomore seasons tend to be a wee bit underwhelming, in my experience.

This one gets an undead thumbs up…

5 Likes

An Affair to Remember is so good. I must have watched it a thousand times.

It’s actually a scene for scene reshoot of A Love Affair, with Irene Dunn. The cinematography and direction is totally different - done for cinemascope. It is fascinating to watch the earlier movie - same dialog but totally different pacing and direction. It’s almost like a lesson in film making. Irene Dunn is also a wonderful actress; much spunkier than Deborah Kerr.

6 Likes

Another vote for Santa Clarita Diet here. It’s a ridiculously funny show, I’d say the best I’ve seen in a long time. Just started on the second season and so looking forward to more of it.

4 Likes