Whatcha Watchin'?

I was waiting for someone to post that.

:wink:

6 Likes

And now, your moment of Zenā€¦

http://www.ubu.com/film/paik_butterfly.html

Butterfly (1986)

2:03 min, color, sound

The exuberant irreverence and wit of Butterfly characterizes [Nam June] Paikā€™s stream-of-consciousness visual and conceptual techniques. In a vibrant image/music collage, he ironically juxtaposes high-cultural artifacts (the aria from Madame Butterfly), contemporary avant-garde icons (Laurie Anderson) and Eastern symbols (the butterfly), within a rapid-paced proliferation of vividly computerized visual effects. This abbreviated work is classic Paik.

5 Likes

The Woman I Love (1972) starring Richard Chamberlain and Faye Dunaway

I ran across this accidentally, and it seemed timely (and short, about 50 min. total), so I decided to give it a watch. Itā€™s about King Edward VIIIā€™s abdication so that he could marry American divorcĆ©e Wallis Warfield Simpson.

While I think Devil in Miss Jones II told the story better, I actually rather enjoyed this, not so much for the rather stodgy staging, as for the portrait it gave of its era(s), the '70s looking back romantically at the '30s, somehow omitting all of that unfortunate business with the Nazis. (And unironically extolling the virtues of Empire to boot.)

Iā€™m sure no one really needs to see this, but as itā€™s apparently fairly obscure, I thought Iā€™d offer a link for the curious.

3 Likes

I wanted some background noise the other night, but something unconnected from any series, so I browsed Netflix movies and found Hellboy II The Golden Army

Iā€™m glad I didnā€™t go out of my way to see it in the theater.

After the credits rolled, I opted for GODZILLA Planet of the Monsters. Part 1. With animation reminiscent of Heavy Metal it was ā€¦

It was ā€¦

It wasnā€™t very good. The premise starts off good, but then all your Godzilla\Anime tropes are hauled out and tossed in. It was movie made by checking off a bunch of boxes and not properly stringing them together,

I guess it is Part 1 and although it ends on a cliffhanger, I will need to be very desperate to watch Part 2 if it comes out

5 Likes

I liked it but yeah pretty much that.

4 Likes

Lucifer fans, please note: two episodes from season 3 were withheld and were planned to air during season 4. Unfortunately, thereā€™s no word yet on anyone else picking up the showā€¦ but FOX is planning to air those last episodes tomorrow night (8 PM Eastern, but times may vary.) Oneā€™s an Ella episode; that should be good.

7 Likes

All I can say is Emily better not turn out to be a robot on Westworld.

Or get killed just to make William sad :cry:

Fuck you, Jonathan Nolan. Enough of this shit.

3 Likes

On impulse, I watched the first episode of this on Netflix:

Juvenile, foul-mouthed, and mean-spirited. Itā€™s as if the writers looked into my soul and made a comedy just for me. If youā€™re looking for a corrective to royal wedding overdose, this is it.

I laughed.

5 Likes

i donā€™t think she is. but now iā€™m wondering if HE is.

also, WHY ARE WE NOT TALKING ABOUT THE EXPANSE??

5 Likes

I think Em is human and will end up having to be the one that kills the man in black, for the greater good."

4 Likes

Erā€¦ Iā€™m kinda worried, given how Ryan Murphy does with his creative projectsā€¦

2 Likes

Waiting until I can watch season 3 free via Prime.

Hooray for Amazon picking up the show for season 4 though. :clap:

6 Likes

YEEESSSSSSSSSS!!! :tada:

4 Likes

Because I havenā€™t had the time to catch the latest episode.

This is truly the one show I wait and watch each episode as it comes out (albeit, generally 6 days after it airs due to logistics)

5 Likes

Iā€™m not a big Expanse fan but episode 6 this year was the best ever ā€” finally some shit actually HAPPENS. Even viewers who find the show tedious should watch S03E05 and S03E06. Youā€™ll be all caught up and itā€™s what youā€™ve been waiting for all this time.

2 Likes

Just watched both last night; honestly it would have been easier to let go of the show for good without these last two eps, as much as I liked them.

They basically just ā€˜reopened the wound.ā€™

4 Likes

My daughter and I went and watched Life of the Party.

Itā€™s exactly what you expectā€¦good solid humor. Check, fart jokes. Check, age jokes. Check inappropriate sex jokes. But it was well done and I think comedy is so hard to do. It was great to see a cast of mostly women in a comedy - I support this! Also, one bring you to your knees, wet your pants funny momentā€¦that was definitely worth the cost of admission.

5 Likes

I hear you; itā€™s a damn shame weā€™re unlikely to get any more of these wonderful stories. Iā€™m happy to have the last two episodes (though I figured weā€™d have to wait for the DVDs to see them.)

I wasnā€™t entirely sure I liked the idea of Ella-the-Ghost-Whisperer, but after figuring out who Rae-Rae was (just before they showed the audience!), I thought it worked really well.

And I liked the twisted-fairy-tale episode as a kind of bookend to the first episode, and a kind of happy ending. I didnā€™t know who the voice of God was until later-- it was Neil Gaiman, who originated the version of Lucifer the showā€™s (loosely) based off of in his Sandman series. :heart_eyes: That was awesome. But it makes me want more. :imp:

The last I heard, the showrunners were hoping to sell to another network, or maybe the WBā€™s upcoming streaming service. But the lack of news is not promising. :imp:

4 Likes

Oh, I knew who that voice was, as soon as I heard it; nice bit of Meta, there.

Yeah, tell me about it.

6 Likes

Waiting for season 3 to be released over here at all.

3 Likes