Whatcha Watchin'?

I’ll say watch the first season, then stop.

2 Likes

I like it, and would say do it for that, as well as Patriot, which I find very amusing.

2 Likes

Anyone see today’s episode of Who is America? :open_mouth:

As someone said, “Those people in Arizona really show that whole “economic anxiety” thing was bullshit.”

4 Likes

The show checks a lot of my “this is a show I will like” boxes, but I think I’ve been on episode three of the first season since it debuted.

I’ll pick it up again and finish the first season, but it did not grab me.

2 Likes

Just watched Season 02 of Broadchurch.

They really should have got Charlotte Rampling to be the next Doctor

Jocelyn_Knight

5 Likes

4 Likes

I watched the movie Tully last night. Maybe not an Oscar winner, but as usual sharp, witty dialogue from Diablo Cody and solid acting from Charlize Theron. I highly recommend.

4 Likes

2 JULY 1970
Duke Ellington pre-tapes a piano recital for a TV broadcast at the ORTF Studios in Paris, France.

Little African Flower / Take the A Train / Warm Valley / Things Ain’t What They Used to Be / Paris Blues / Come Sunday / In the Beginning God / Lotus Blossom / Black Beauty / New World A’Comin’ / Satin Doll / Dancers in Love

Highly recommended.

2 Likes

Extinction on Netflix – this is some major Philip K. Dick shit.

Also topical. Deeply topical.

3 Likes

Usually.

14 Likes

Guys, GLOW is frickin’ genius. Second season starts a little slow but last night my daughter and I hit #5 and we were on the floor laughing so hard. Also, this season, someone has really dug into the treasure trove of '80s synth background music and added in quite a few “music video” style scenes, which, I must confess, I have the biggest sweet spot for. Mor bad 80’s graphics please. Oh, yeah, they got that covered, too.

7 Likes

8 Likes

This seems like a good show to watch tomorrow:

Looks like a cross between The Great British Bake off and Parks and Recreation, but with makers instead of bakers.

Seems like it would be a welcome respite from the news.

4 Likes

That’s up next… I loved the first season of GLOW so much. I’m really looking forward to this one.

I just finished up Luke Cage, which was a great second season. I have to say that Alfre Woodard was incredible in the second season, just a phenomenal performance from her in ever single episode she was in. Especially ever scene she was in with Theo Rossi (Shades):

luke-cage-mariah-shades

7 Likes

Recently watched at casa Nightflyer:

Dad got the boxed set of Are You Being Served? and we’ve been working our way through it. It hasn’t aged well-- some of the stereotypical humor would be considered so offensive today-- but I can’t help laughing anyway. Mr. Humphries was so awesome. :heart_eyes:

I can’t believe how crazy Trial and Error on NBC is. I caught the first couple of episodes of the comedy/mystery more or less by accident (they came on after the Gubernatorial debate) and I can’t stop watching. The jokes are a-mile-a-minute, and many fall flat… but the small-town world of East Peck is remarkably consistent. Bits from previous episodes carry into following episodes, and I appreciate the attention to detail. It looks like the whodunnit will be revealed this Thursday, which is good, because I have no idea if Lavinia killed her husband or not.

And finally… I had a really stressful day Saturday, so that evening I decided to watch something simple and undemanding… Sharknado 5: Global Swarming. It’s dumb as a box of rocks, but amusing enough. (Though I must be getting old, since I only recognized a third of the cameo appearances.)

6 Likes

OK, I love her. I like him well enough.

But, I didn’t feel a bit of sexual chemistry between them. It felt weird, off, forced. As business partners, great, I felt their partnership, the loyalty between them, all that worked perfectly. But they lost me when they started kissing.

4 Likes

She’s amazing. I wasn’t going to watch it but now you say Alfre Woodard is in it, I could do that.

4 Likes

I think that forced feeling was intentionally part of the character, though. This whole season felt like it was about Mariah struggling against what she knows society wants her to be (a good person, who gets out of the gun running game and spends her time/effort working on behalf of Harlem, with no rewards like she’d get with being a gangster and what SHE wants to be, which is a bad ass gangster, who out does her grandmother - hence getting into selling drugs and the over the top response to the Stylers. The character has always been awkward, until she tells her daughter the truth about her father - then she’s completely comfortable in her skin. You can see it on shade’s face at Gwen’s that Mariah’s real nature scared the shit out of him. On top of that, they did the same thing with the distraction, this time putting Bushmaster front and center as the bad buy, then revealing that the real evil was at the heart of Harlem all along. Yeah, the heads on spikes were fucked up, but probably less so than what she did to Anansi and the people at Gwen’s, because pretty much all 3 of the men involved were dirty and implicated in some way with Mariah, while innocent people were killed at Gwen’s. That’s what sold it for me, not the lack of awkwardness, but why that awkwardness exists in the first place.

5 Likes

Yeah, it’s worth it for her. Simone Missick (as Misty Knight) is pretty great, too.

luke-cage-misty-looking

6 Likes

#https://archive.org/details/MaxFleischerSuperman

All 17 of the original Fleischer/Famous Studios Superman cartoons, Supe’s debut on the screen. Formulaic, but a lot of fun in small doses.

3 Likes