Whatcha Watchin'?

:question:

I barely even remember the film; it was that forgettable.

4 Likes

Bojack Horseman, which took a lot to get me to watch enough of it to get to the real “what the fuck am I watching” moments that I treasure.

I was a fan of The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson back during the Nulldrums. I loved the border-straddling, white-boy-realizing-there’s-a-much-bigger-world, surrealist swagger. This is similar with much more thought-per-moment.

This has an almost entire episode where Bojack is silent and everyone around him is yelling at him in Russo-Japanese and porpoise-squeaks. He saves a baby seahorse. That is all.

7 Likes

Too much blood and gore, even for a guy who eats horror films for breakfast.

5 Likes

It’s really weird that it left no impression upon me, except boredom and being underwhelmed.

5 Likes

Anyone else watched The Travelers on Netflix? We’re part way through the first season. An interesting premise so far…

6 Likes

I got through it. Didn’t hate it, enjoyed it mostly but didn’t lose myself to it.

3 Likes

We liked it. Very different take on time travel.

3 Likes

Good luck telling all these square-jawed, middle-aged white men apart :-1:

3 Likes

phantom thread

it got weird…

and was a better film for it.

Season 3 is on Netflix and other places.

This year they just dumped it all at once. Already plowed through five episodes.

Vancouver sci-fi shows use the same actors over and over. “Who is that? Where did I see her before? I CAN’T REMEMBER :confounded: [ hours later ] Oh yeah, she was Alec’s girlfriend on Continuum.

Netflix should probably release one episode per week just so they won’t all blur together.

5 Likes

The emotional stories of the travelers and the lives of the people around them are great! The time travel… is appropriately dense and painfull magic bullshit. The AI tropes are eyerollingly conventional, the economics and class issues that are actually causing problems are not addressed at all.

After binging the new series I’m rewatching from the start. Like I said, the character stories are great, and apparently it’s not possible to get sci-fi without tone-deaf and ignorant ideas of technology, engineering, and social organization poisoning everything.

4 Likes

There’s also a couple of minor historical inaccuracies that kind of spoil the suspension of disbelief.

6 Likes

It’s an amazing show for sure. I’ve had many deep conversations with my shrink about it. It definitely takes a little while to really “get it” at first (beyond the stuff at the surface of course) but by S3 it’s some seriously must watch stuff. There’s some simply unforgettable episodes.

4 Likes

Yeah. I don’t think that any German sniper really killed 250 Allied soldiers over three days.

5 Likes

The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina was really decent.

It was largely a background show while I was working on other things, but really liked it.

Very good for setting up the, “oh, they aren’t going to go there. Oh. Well. They did.”

4 Likes

“Seriously! What is it with witches and cannibalism?”

3 Likes

So, being ill, I took the opportunity to watch 3 movies I had been waiting years to explore again. A Christmas Story, Home Alone, and Die Hard.

A Christmas Story still feels top-notch, especially with the prose and narration of Jean Shepherd.
Home Alone was good, though not my favorite Hughes (writer) movie.
I don’t know. Die Hard just felt like a big mess to me.

8 Likes

But…but… It’s Die Hard. You must look past the mess to enjoy the 80s Action Flick it is, cowboy.

2 Likes
3 Likes

Lets see you get a heist movie a christmas movie a action movie a buddy on the radio movie and at the end a zombie movie.

Lot of bang for your buck.

6 Likes