Whatcha Watchin'?

Christmas Resuko…

3 Likes

Better-than-average British cop show :+1:

5 Likes

We’re watching it this weekend, about halfway through. It’s pretty good, but it’s odd to see anyone smoking on television. Honestly this detail is mundane but it lends a sort of weight of realism. I feel more invested in all the characters than I usually get.

Mostly I want to watch another episode but that’s cheating, because the dude is not here. Maybe I’ll watch some of this, but only because I want to see if it grabs me. He’s a hard NO on spooky ghosts, sticks more to cabals of morally dubious spooks imperiling and/or saving the world. So I watch some things on my own.

7 Likes

The value of this kind of genre show is that it is able to talk about things that people don’t want to talk about without actually talking about those things. Or, alternatively, talking very literally about a taboo topic by putting it right next to a bonkers image of so-much-worse-look-at-that-arterial-spray.

The Fred Wertham censorship scheme that became the corporate norm in the 80s has been beaten into submission only in certain places. Even genre may be taken away from the masses by the corporate intelligentsia. “It’s too much of a risk! Remember when we started giving rights to women? These people are crafty at being subversive. They can slip their little messages in anywhere. No fiction allowed until the cull is complete.”

6 Likes

So a friend has been visiting today and likes TV on in the background. (What is with that?)

At least it wasn’t Hallmark channel, but it was an In the Heat of the Night marathon.

And there was one on that reminded me of the classic 80s episode: The Flashback Episode

Let’s build an episode of clips from previous episodes and 10 minutes of new footage with what ever actors are available.

9 Likes

Star Trek:The Orville.
I swear it’s a spot on homage to the first two series, with a few differences (quantum vs. warp drive, much silly humor vs. occasional wit, Isaac vs. Data, etc.). It even has really good episodes and meh ones, just like the originals. We’re enjoying it.

5 Likes

“this is how much noise it takes to drown out my self-loathing”

this week’s was definitely meh

5 Likes

I did a couple of passes through Bandersnatch last night.

Interesting concept. Somewhat forced. I’ll try another run through again.

Two-and-a-half stars out of five for morbid curiosity

1 Like

Restored version of Buñuel and Dalí’s surrealist classic Un Chien Andalou. Much better image quality, not as blown out and cropped. Also, at a different speed than usual, running 21 minutes as opposed to the usual 16. And no tangos, only Wagner.

I’ve gotten rather used to the traditional version’s more rushed pace and definitely miss the tangos, but this is a worthwhile variant.

3 Likes

We’re still in The Orville season 1, up to episode six, and it’s pretty clear they’re still trying to figure out what the show’s about.

ETA but then ST:TNG had growing pains too.

4 Likes

Just watched the first season this weekend. It was much better than expected, but I’m still tripped out to find that Riverdale (a series I’ve been avoiding like the plague) is actually a live adaptation of the Archies.

O_o

4 Likes

Oops, forgot Orville was on last night. I’ll have to catch up via the web at some point.

3 Likes

inherent vice

i’m not sure what to think. Maybe homesick for California.

2 Likes

I’ve got NASATV streaming, waiting for the Ultima Thule flyby. I’m loving all these scientists and engineers letting their geek flag fly. They even had a sing-along about working in the space programme, and it was fun.

Every New Year’s I make a nice meal (this year I went low-effort and had bacon-wrapped roasted baby potatoes), and champagne.

I’m really enjoying this.

7 Likes

Better than the ball in Times Square!

4 Likes

The more time Seth MacFarlane is on the screen, the more the show seems like a vanity project. He doesn’t do facial expressions.

The best episodes leave MacFarlane back on the bridge while the other characters are down on Planet X having exciting futuristic adventures. “Unseen boss voice on the radio” is his ideal role.

Season 2 episode 1 was, unfortunately, just about the opposite of that. Way too much Seth, and all the characters were doing '80s sitcom plots instead of space opera.

7 Likes

Thanks @Nightflyer and @Melizmatic. I started watching Lucifer last night (needing something after season 3 of Travelers). Who needs sleep?

6 Likes

We binge-watched Aggretsuko last night (including the Christmas episode).

A couple of episodes in, I thought “this isn’t great, but it’s moderately entertaining.” I revised my opinion as we went on. I expected it to kind of be a one-joke thing (which peaked with “Lightning, grant me your vengeance!”) but it transcended that. I really like a lot of the characters, flaws and all – even Mr. Ton (ugh) has some sympathetic and wise moments.

(Protein!)

6 Likes

We’ve been working our way through the various seasons of the UK version of Taskmaster for the second time. Just as funny as the first time.

If you’re unfamiliar with it, 5 comedian contestants must do various tasks to the satisfaction of the host, Greg Davies. It’s all pointless but very entertaining.

If you’re in the UK, I have a feeling it’s on high repeat, and might not be so funny the Nth time around, but it’s worth seeking a torrent of the series if you live anywhere else.

4 Likes

Yeah, it was pretty great. Looking forward to the full season 2… I totally enjoyed the Christmas episode as well.