Whatcha Watchin'?

Oh, almost done with the first season of Legion… Wow, that’s a hell of a great show. I totally want to read the comic now.

3 Likes

Forewarning, I was pretty pissed off at that that show by the season 2 finale.

3 Likes

Series 5 just started.

Sort of a British version of Silence of the Lambs or Seven, but with Idris Elba instead of Brad Pitt.

7 Likes

Were you? For some reason, that makes me look forward to it even more… My daughter said they did greenlight a 3rd season, so maybe they’ll fix what made you mad?

Great! I can’t wait till it’s on Netflix!

5 Likes

It’s more of a writer/story issue, that was eerily bad timing as the #metoo movement was gathering steam and Brock Turner got vindictive. As I’ve said before way upthread, it better be a good bluff on the part of the writers.

Cryptic, I know, but you’ll see what I mean in the last episode.

3 Likes

I didn’t make it that far. Season 1 was fine, but Season 2 started out twice as crazy and just got worse.

It wasn’t making enough sense for me to care about what was going on.

3 Likes

I haven’t read or watched the book or movie Watership Down before now. An acquaintance recommended the Netflix show as getting more of the book down. Episode One was quite portentous.

The look. They… are doing the bare minimum CGI (even given that everything is covered in hair and grass, er, shrubbery) for the “live” reality of the story… but they also do these great stop-animated Arabian-nights stories of the Great Rabbit King, trickster God of the Hunted. Like Herne the Hunted from Pratchett, only the real deal.

2 Likes

Lovecraft Country is in post-production. What I’m jazzed about is Wunmi Mosaku (detective Catharine Haliday) from Luther is in it.

4 Likes
SPOILERS FOR LUTHER SERIES 5

Even more SotL than I thought, as ALICE IS BACK, despite being killed off last season.

I am not a big Alice fan. I don’t buy Alice as a character, I don’t buy Ruth Wilson as a seductive femme fatale, I don’t buy Luther risking his career and his colleagues’ safety for a sociopathic serial killer, I don’t buy dead characters being resurrected because the actor is available this year, I don’t buy any of it. The Alice arc reached a natural conclusion at the end of Series 3 and they should have moved on :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

This, exactly; I quit on Legion without even bothering to finish the second season.

In other news, I watched Bird Box last night at the behest of my kid; count me as one of the people who likes it.

And Trevante Rhodes is FINE;

5 Likes

I’m going to trust your judgement on all of those things. I loved Legion season 1, but there’s so much great stuff and season 2 doesn’t stream from anywhere I’m willing to sign up to. The only celebrities I can think of to perv on at the moment are Jameela Jamil and D’Arcy Carden from The Good Place. Everything else I’m watching is talking animals and animal head cartoons.

3 Likes

She’s gorge; can’t blame you.

4 Likes

Oh, weird, we watched it last night too. He was excellent in the role and very easy on the eyes!

2 Likes

Right?

And even though I knew from the outset that he wasn’t going to make it to the end, I loved every moment he was on the screen.

1 Like

Re: Bird Box

Not only is the movie good, but there are so many funny memes referencing it, too!

1 Like

I plan to watch it soon, so blur the spoilers please.

5 Likes

Obliged, but c’mon son; he’s a virile Black man, in a horror movie with an attractive White woman… do the math.

4 Likes

Son? A little respect for your elders if you please, young lady. :wink:

Okay, I watched the movie last night. Good fun, if a bit silly. But I don’t know if your math automatically adds up in the context of today’s Hollywood. He’s the romantic male lead after all, not a secondary monster-fodder character, and he isn’t shown as inferior to Malorie in any way. If I had had to guess, my money would have been on the survival of the whole adoptive nuclear family. If you told me one of them had to go, of course, it’s obvious Sandra Bullock and two cute kids aren’t going to get the chop.

I don’t usually get too excited about spoilers, unless the whole point of the narrative is the mystery, or the surprise twist. Heck, I even enjoyed

5 Likes

yeah, overall i have to say that we liked it, too, but at the end i had SO MANY QUESTIONS. i was surprised that so many recognizable people were in it.

4 Likes

I guess I’m showing my age with my usage of old slang:

*lolz

Aside from the trope that Black people typically don’t survive to the end of a horror movie, there’s the fact that when the film starts it’s just Malorie, Girl & Boy going down river; Tom is nowhere to be seen. It’s clear from the beginning that he didn’t make it that far.

Apparently, Sandra Bullock is like the highest paid actress in Hollywood right now; they had to have a comparable cast…

5 Likes