Whatcha Watchin'?

spongebob-fry-take-my-money

Can we just have him, Ava Duvarney, Ben Wheatley, and Jeremy Sauliner make all the movies from now on… Maybe James Gunn, too? OH, and Jordan Peele! DUH…

4 Likes

Oh, I loved JDatE, but then, I loved the book, too. (I’ve got both the 2.0 Permuted Press and 3.0 hardcover versions.) Coscarelli’s adaptation is magnificent-- I’m not sure anybody else could have done justice to it.

2 Likes

Pretty good. Stick with it through the credits for a mid-credit scene.

2 Likes

So there is this show

I’m not going to recommend it :-1:

“A bunch of people wake up on an abandoned mountain island spaceship and don’t remember who they are and/or how they got there” sounds like an old cliché to me.

I’m just here to complain about this one thing.

There is a scene very early in the first episode, where Graham Neezha (or whatever his name is) first looks out a window and realizes where he is

looking out

looking in close

looking in far

The rings are rotating at different speeds, like they’re all supposed to have different strengths of artificial gravity — HEY WAIT, if they’re rotating to create artificial gravity, then WHY IS OUR HERO STANDING WITH HIS FEET TOWARD THE CENTER OF ROTATION?

OMG that is so not how physics works.

OKAY, OKAY, they’re just rotating to look pretty, never mind. They’ve all got magic artificial gravity that pulls everything toward the center. That’s how things work in this story. THE FLOOR CURVES DOWN. Fine.

BUT WAIT

looking down

close up

floor curves up

Look at that. Look at that floor. CURVING UPWARDS.

The production designer who built the sets knew how artificial gravity is supposed to work on a spinning spaceship. But the CGI people, the ones who made that first scene where you see out the window? They couldn’t figure it out so they just flipped a coin. And nobody checked it and nobody cared.

TFW you just want to reach through the screen and fire people :unamused:

7 Likes

Because she can lead any movie from end to end. She is amazing. Sandra Bullock has screen magic and she works her ass off to make sure every scene is tight as hell. She has my respect. It’s not easy to pull off being the star of a movie and she does it over and over again.

5 Likes

started watching/savoring the last season (season 3) of A Series of Unfortunate Events last night. i love how much fun they clearly had making it. Neil Patrick Harris is a treasure.

5 Likes

Will be watching this soon…

killer-mike-dancin

7 Likes

“but, but, but that’s every single thing in my life and my world,” says the average white person

10 Likes

This is relatively horrific, but a well done film…

It’s pretty upsetting on a number of levels, so be forewarned.

2 Likes

Apart from that imdb link I can’t find anything about this one.

2 Likes

It doesn’t seem to have a wikipedia entry, but it’s up on Rotten Tomatoes, FWIW…

It’s largely about the trauma of the war in Bosnia and that kind of trauma colors everything for the survivors. It’s on the netflix, though, if you’re interested in watching. Given the subject matter, it is an upsetting film, so be forewarned.

4 Likes

So it is. I thought I’d looked there first. Yes!

And oh shit, Solo came out on Netflix with Spanish titles. It’s so much more accessible than The Room, but I don’t think anyone really gets it.

3 Likes

Okay, DC TV fans: I’m considering getting into Legends of Tomorrow, since I’ve heard it’s wonderfully bat :poop: crazy. But I’ve also heard season 1 isn’t that great. Do I skip it entirely, only watch select episodes, or just work my way through?

(If it matters, I haven’t been watching any of the DC TV shows. I have some knowledge of characters from the many comics I used to read, so I won’t go into it completely ignorant.)

5 Likes

US release in March, though it’s been released in other countries (I’m currently watching on pirate streaming).

All I can say is congratulations, Terry Gilliam. You finally did it. Such determination.

8 Likes

Well, crap. The $10 Legends season 1 sold out. And I found out the thing I really want to see (Beebo) happens at the end of season 3… it seems like a lot to catch up on.

3 Likes

Just want to add a bit about Gilliam’s Quixote movie…

I doubt this script is quite the same creature that he originally conceived. I’m only halfway through (sound dropped out – ah, the downsides to pirate streaming), but the story is apparently recursive in that it’s referring to the filmmaker’s own failed attempt many years before (not spoiling this - it’s common knowledge).
A little slow at first, but it was getting really good when I lost the sound. I look forward to finishing it.

3 Likes

Run, Lola, Run is streaming on Pluto TV for free (with ads.) It’s a slick German thriller with a dash of Sliding Doors. Great techno soundtrack.

6 Likes

Two episodes of True Detective so far, and I feel Mahershala Ali is probably going to surpass McConaughey as most memorable cast member on the show. He’s that good, IMHO.

3 Likes

Great fun. The movie that got Franka Potente a lot of attention.

5 Likes

I watched Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse last night.

It has a great message, a tight plot, and Lord and Miller continue to have a direct line to my funny bone while not layering the jokes so densely that the viewer loses their emotional connection to the characters.

Highly recommend, if you’re at all into superhero movies.

7 Likes