Whatchya Workin' On, O Creatives?

LOL, yes, keep that one handy :slight_smile:

4 Likes

First day in months that Iā€™ve felt like working with my Shapeoko on a project that has long festered in my nogginā€™. Of course, the Shapeoko is out in the garage where it is a 90 something degrees and a ā€œfeels likeā€ temp of 103.

Oh well, makinā€™ swarf and drinking Polka King Porter to keep me going

6 Likes

I once had a roommate who liked wood-working, so set up a lathe to make some stuff. In the kitchen. Wood chips everywhere ā€“ but it was cedar so it smelled nice.

14 Likes

today i will waste seven hours

13 Likes

Youā€™ve obviously been spying on me.

If I could concentrate my motivated periods into even a four hour block every other week, I could get shit done.

11 Likes

Patched up. I have got to take some time before I release things. You know how it goes: you see the light at the end of the tunnel, and say to yourself, ā€œI must finish this tonightā€, and of course it doesnā€™t sound quite right when you listen to it a couple of days later - very close, the ideas are all there, but not there yet.

9 Likes

Wow. Impressive and beautiful.

Iā€™m curious; what instrument did you use? Is it a real harpsichord, or an electronic instrument?

3 Likes

This is an electronic demo using a soundfont sampled from a harpsichord after Blanchet. I, unfortunately, have neither the money nor the space for the real thing.

I suppose I need to find my performer(s) - my biggest problem working in isolation.

Edit: Where are my manners? Thank you. Iā€™m glad you like it. :slight_smile:

10 Likes

A little thing on the side to refresh my eyes/mind while others dry.

13 Likes

And finished the panel as a warm-up for tonightā€™s work. I like how this one turned out.

Iā€™m gonna give this little one to the doc (the one interested in me) as a present.

ETA: She loved it.

12 Likes

Of all the unlikely things, Iā€™m about to start teaching a couple Chinese students Bob Dylan. This should prove interesting.

12 Likes

9 Likes

They are our two most advanced students. Earlier in the year, we moved them out of our textbooks and I taught them The Martian Chronicles. We needed something new to teach after that. I wanted to get into new areas, so I suggested poetry and my boss suggested Bob Dylan. (Sheā€™s keen on ā€œBlowing in the Windā€ and she thinks his Nobel Prize win is a good hook. And both of the students are currently learning guitar.)

Weā€™ve only had one class so far, focusing on his first album which he mostly didnā€™t write (and even what he did is more straightforward than later). First class went passably well, but they were under prepared. (Summer hadnā€™t yet ended for them.)

10 Likes

Spent the day finishing writing & demoing a song about punching Nazis. Thatā€™s a day well spent, I feel.

13 Likes

When can we hear it?

6 Likes

Well, if you can excuse the bad mix and the stand-in vocal track, right now :stuck_out_tongue:

Strange, itā€™s been well over a decade but I still seem to be writing songs pitched for the bandā€™s vocalist. Fun side fact, heā€™s Jewish so heā€™ll probably like this one :wink:

8 Likes

Loved it!

4 Likes

Iā€™m putting the finishing touches on Eleven Spells, which is Starthief album #4 :slight_smile:

Also building up calluses and learning mandolin basics. My spouse recruited me into her fledgling, long-term musical project: spooky Gothic Appalachian/American Roots/Celtic inspired stuff. Murder ballads, hauntings, witches, and probably class struggle too. With some traditional instruments, but also synths and samples ā€“ we have no idea how or if this is going to work out, but trying is going to be fun.

I used to be a promising violin student back in the 80s but lapsed; with some effort maybe I can get decent enough tone and intonation for recording simple parts. I really dig the mandolin though ā€“ so does she, so I might have to get my own. I could see using it in my electronic project as well.

7 Likes

Thatā€™s fabulous. I love the tonal mix and rhythms of the song. Please post the final one if you can! (Or tell us where to get it.)

I must admit I listen for music rather than the singing, because I can rarely understand lyrics; I donā€™t know why, but its true for most songs and always has been. To me lyrics are just part of the music. But in this case, I would love to see the lyrics written out, unless thatā€™s a copyright problem or something. I did catch the ā€œwith your teeth missing itā€™s hard to heil!ā€

5 Likes

When privatization gets out of hand . . .

This is a building for my (eventual) model train layout. Itā€™s based on a kit made of plaster castings (someone had to carve a master with ALL those bricks) that I repurposed. I liked the idea of some sort of XXX rated place.

The two library signs, new art deco-ish column faces, patina roof, and steps are all 3D printed from designs I cooked up in the modeling/rendering/animation program, Blender.

Alas while taking down the roof sign, a wee accident occurred.

Fun project, but took too long . . . .

19 Likes