Whatchya Workin' On, O Creatives?

Neat! What kind of fabric is that?

4 Likes

Looks like canvas to me?

2 Likes

Itā€™s a prototype, so Iā€™m building it out of cotton duck cloth (in the 10-12oz range, Iā€™d wager).
I have sample books of technical fabrics headed my way (a full set of x-pac and cordura samples), and Iā€™ll figure out the final build from there.

7 Likes

My sole concession to the holidays.
The gear is permanent, something I pulled out of the lawn and saw fit to install on the door. Twine was from a roll left by the park maintenance crew. Bow is one of those bags that apples come in.

14 Likes

You had to saw your door to fit? :smile::roll_eyes:

That is amazing. I love the gear; wonder what itā€™s from. And $0 outlay! Yay!

7 Likes

Ya, the zero outlay is definitely how i get down.
I canā€™t remember where the bells came from but they may have been here when i moved in? I definitely didnā€™t buy them.

Oddly enough, i did very recently saw that door to fit the frame. The rain gets at it and swole the bottom so it really rubbed the jamb forcefully since before i moved in. Then part of the frame finally rotted and the friction from rubbing the jamb was pushing the whole frame outward when i opened the door inward.
Took it off the hinges and sawed Ā¼" off the bottom, sprayed foam insulation into the massive gaps in the frame and nailed it all back down then re-hung the (fucking heavy-assed) door.
After 10 years of wrestling my door, i can now close it with one finger.
So itā€™s weird that you said that.

8 Likes

My mystical abilities! :mage:

7 Likes

Forgot to mention my trick for safely putting a standard xacto in a pen cup. Protects the blade and your fingers. it somewhat deformed the rubber on this model xacto but not to where it affects useage.

This size binder clip was too small for the orange one and the next size up (that I have, anyway) was too large to grip it so thatā€™s why I went for the cork on that model, but binder clips are a somewhat easier solution if theyā€™re handy.

6 Likes

Good idea! I always leave my Exacto knife on the workbench rather than point up in a tool holder, with the tip away from me (usually). But itā€™s a hazard. One more thing on the table, too, so Iā€™ll try this instead.

6 Likes

And so: with some minor caveats, the prototype bag is done. Iā€™m already seeing things Iā€™ll change in the final build, but it should do for testing.

Iā€™ll name it the watermelon bag- but the final will likely be all black with a camouflage zipper reveal.

13 Likes

Does anyone here do much fair isle crochet? Meaning (I think), works where the stitch stays the same and changes in color create a pattern.

The project Iā€™m working on now is a banner in single crochet. I used the patterns in Needlework Alphabets and Designs by Blanche Corker and charted out my message in three colors:

Itā€™sā€¦ crazy-ambitious (or maybe just crazy), plus Iā€™m working in a really small scale (double strands of thread on a 1.2mm hook.)

My problem at this point is where Iā€™ve started the bottom border. The stitches look a little crooked. Iā€™m not sure if itā€™s a question of tension or gauge or if my color changing technique is off.

Any ideas on what I might be doing wrong?

(The red and black bits of thread sticking out of the white section are quickie stitch markers, 10 stitches apart. Red marks wrong side, black marks right side.)

5 Likes

I donā€™t know if you can just use a knitting chart for a crochet pattern.

The crochet stitches donā€™t sit directly on top of each other ā€“ they alternate. You canā€™t do a true vertical line in colour work, for instance.

If itā€™s a cross-stitch pattern and you want to try to knit it, you need to repeat every third row to keep the proportions right.

Aida cloth and cross stitch might be easiest. Or knit a plain white rectangle and cross stitch the pattern over it.

3 Likes

Well, I think it looks OK. My wife does plastic canvas needlework (alas trying to crochet as a hobby and computer keyboarding for work was leading to RSI, so she gave up the crochet), and seems to me Iā€™m seen how trying to do straight and angled lines can be difficult. Sort of like pixel aliasing, only more complicated.

3 Likes

Iā€™ve modified the borders into something simpler, and thatā€™s going better. The lettersā€¦ Iā€™ll see when I get to them. Iā€™m hoping I can get them to work.

6 Likes

Iā€™ve got a compromise: basic Tunisian stitch crocheted white background, then cross-stitch the lettering on. Itā€™s kinda like making your own Aida cloth.

3 Likes

Iā€™m back to workā€¦

Allegro barbaro

Facing the Flood with Feet of Klee

That Hideous Strength

Time

(All Ā©2018 P. I. Ross-Ross)

19 Likes

These are nice!!!

9 Likes

Thank you. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Are you selling prints of the one labeled ā€œThat Hideous Strengthā€?

4 Likes

Whoa, Iā€™m blown away! Fabulous!

4 Likes