Whatchya Workin' On, O Creatives?

I like the first one… I like them all, but I like the first one the best. Something about it reminds me of Basquiat a bit.

4 Likes

Thanks, all.

@DaakSyde, I don’t sell prints, but you are certainly free to download and print it yourself. The full-sized file can be downloaded here.

10 Likes

At that site, it says digital and mixed media would you be willing to describe your technique a little (or point me to it if you already have somewhere)?

Really curious!

3 Likes

My tools are pretty simple: Apophysis and GIMP (for a brief period, Photoshop, but I no longer have a copy). I build up a collection of Apophysis “raw materials” which I use in GIMP in a kind of collage, albeit a collage with many layers and lots of processing. I like Apophysis for the raw materials because it gives a huge variety of different shapes and textures that are very painterly, and I can usually find “motifs” that I can work with.

8 Likes

Wow. I love the sleeting rain effect.

4 Likes

That was a “long shadow” filter manipulated in various ways, iirc. I’m pretty good at using some of the filters and effects in non-obvious ways.

5 Likes

holy cripes, these are fantastic
love the Allegro one

6 Likes

Thank you. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

New album released last night. It’s been getting some nice comments already from fellow modular synth types. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

It took about eight hours, but I made the pieces for two children’s sweaters on my knitting machine today.

And now my arm muscles and shoulder muscles are killing me from moving the shuttle back and forth, so that means it’s movie time.

14 Likes

I have a general question for the tech-savvy.

I’m up for another nasal polyp study over a six month period starting in April, which would earn me $1200 if I can get by without spending it.
I still want/need to build a satisfactory computer that I can use for both work and MMORPG gaming that would last me a 4-5 years (and yes, I’m aware of obsolescence), that I can finally say is not junk or a hand-me-down. I’m hoping additional work and matching funding can help me earn more by then.

As time goes on, I notice gaming setups increasingly have all kinds of bells and whistles, and look like cubical Christmas trees. This makes me sad.

So, to my question. It’s a two-parter.

1. Is it necessary to buy the flashy parts from the “gaming” column when putting it together? Can I buy gaming quality and avoid the bling?
    Guts stuff is a given. I’m talking about good, space-economical housing and fans and the like.
  2. Will buying nondescript parts generally help me save money overall when building this computer?
5 Likes

Most anything labeled “gaming” just means it’s got lights on it. The only “gaming” part that sometimes makes sense is the motherboard.

Just about any machine you build today with modern parts, should be good for 4-5 years or more. The only thing you need to be careful with is that you leave yourself room to upgrade and you’ll be fine.

8 Likes

Of all the parts not to go cheap on: the power supply.

That is one component that will take as many other parts with it if it dies.

At one time, http://www.logicalincrements.com was my go to page for deciding parts for a particular budget.

It’s been a few years, so I don’t know if something else is better now

6 Likes

@tachin1

Thanks. I’m not trying to skimp this time. I just really want to avoid useless stuff that adds to the cost.
Additionally, the glowy-blinky things aren’t really my aesthetic.

6 Likes

Truth.

6 Likes

I’d add a couple more:

• Graphics card
  • Mouse/keyboard

The former because unless you’re gaming, doing video editing, or doing 3d modeling (or cryptomining), the integrated graphics are usually enough, so a discrete graphics card is probably going to be advertised as a gaming accessory.

The latter because they often add useful buttons that can be assigned to in-game functions.

But, yeah, I wouldn’t say there’s such thing as a “gaming” case or CPU or hard drive or fan or heat sink, or anything like that.

6 Likes

I was mainly thinking of exterior stuff, but my latest glance at Newegg shows that some coolers glow now.

It’s like the visual equivalent of Fast & Furious.

8 Likes

The case dilemma

12 Likes

6 Likes

So, geeky crocheters who may not be hanging around the old place, this came up today and made me think of you.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/463377288/crochet-pattern-no-1629-at-walker-by

ETA: there are a few there that might suit people around here.

10 Likes