Whatchya Workin' On, O Creatives?

Could you elucidate? I searched google but came up with a number of weird things like horse drawn machine guns and choirs (I think the latter is a song about machine guns???). Game perhaps?

2 Likes

Neat! Some those modules are really complex. Long way from the Moog VCO-VCF-VCA. Iā€™m so glad modular is back. Digital really took over in the '80ā€™s and it looked like modular was gone.

I build some Aries kits long ago, then came across a 2nd or 3rd (or 4th or 5th) hand system for sale, and bought that. Worked on it for years, even added a few models described by Craig Anderton in Keyboard magazine; a VCF and VCEG using Curtis Electromusic chips. Sold it after my interests sort of changed. Now I just lurk, and listen.

1 Like

Yeah. (Sorry that the proposed box design reads Tatsnapka)

http://www.legionwargames.com/legion_pre-order.php#TAT

http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX/.1dd2e848/260

2 Likes

Thanks ā€“ that looks like a lot of work. Good luck!

Iā€™m not a gamer myself, but Iā€™ve known plenty over the years. My introduction to RPGs was a friend who, with a friend of his, developed Space Quest back in the dark ages. I remember helping them collate pages once. :scream:

2 Likes

Did an interview tonight

5 Likes

Iā€™ll have to listen to all of this later on! Money mindset coaching sounds really interesting.

It is interesting. I never heard of it until I got into the entrepreneur world. It sounds like bullshit until you start trying to make money, and then you have to confront these stories you create around it. I for years used to say, ā€œI canā€™t make money at Yoga.ā€ The funny thing is that if someone came to my class and said, ā€œI canā€™t do a headstand,ā€ Iā€™d correct them and say, ā€œYou canā€™t do a headstand YET.ā€ I know that as soon as you see that possibility is there to learn it, it gives you permission to try, and that gives you the ability to do really hard things. I know - I can do a lot of those Yoga Journal cover poses. I didnā€™t see that I did the exact same thing with money that people do with headstands; it was uncomfortable to see my own ideas about money were so limiting. Itā€™s really neat that there are people who specifically focus on this issue to help entrepreneurs grow.

4 Likes

Modular today is in a fun place. It seems like a lot of people got into it as a sort of backlash against digital synths and the computer being the center of a studio. But Eurorack format in particular came to be less Moog traditionalist, and more hybridized than some other formats.

A couple of makers introduced proudly digital modules, a few brought in West Coast Buchla/Serge designs, and some introduced ideas from computer science or animation and gave them musical applications, or said ā€œa mixer should be an instrumentā€ or ā€œthereā€™s no reason an envelope generator canā€™t also be an oscillatorā€ or ā€œwhy canā€™t modules be programmable?ā€ or ā€œwhy not freely interface hardware with virtual modules in software?ā€ā€¦ and now itā€™s pretty much wide open. And I love it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Got my rack rearranged and the last module I was waiting on set up today. So this is how itā€™s going to be until Rabid Elephant Natural Gate is released and replaces the Sputnik Quad VCF/VCA, which will also open a little space for another toy or two:

6 Likes

Iā€™ve got Autodesk Sketchbook loaded on my Kindle Fire, and Iā€™m finally starting to play with it. The basic app is free, but I highly recommend spending the $3.99 for the Pro Tools package to get more brushes, fills, gradients and selection tools. (Or you can get an annual subscription for program updates. But thatā€™s deeper than I plan on getting with it right now.)

I canā€™t get enough accuracy in sketching with my fingertips, so for now Iā€™m experimenting with brushes, selections, fills, and layer blending modes. If you just said, ā€œthat sounds like Photoshop,ā€ youā€™re right. There are a few things missing-- no layer styles, no clipping groups, no masks, no strokes, canā€™t name or group your layers and you only get 18 layers max. :angry: But a little Photoshop knowledge goes a long way in Sketchbook, even if the interface isnā€™t quite the same.

The bubble sketch above is trial-and-error experimentation. If anyoneā€™s interested, I can try to describe the methods usedā€¦ but it sounds halfway like gobbledygook to me, and I did it! :wink:

Hereā€™s something else I did while passing some time todayā€¦

Itā€™s not all that great, but I donā€™t think itā€™s too bad either, given Iā€™m still figuring out all the bells and whistles.

I ordered an active (powered) fine point stylus that I dearly hope will work with the app (and a screen protector since the fine tip is metal, so much for a ā€œfreeā€ app :roll_eyes: ), and it should be in later this week. Then, hopefully, Iā€™ll be able to do some real sketchingā€¦ I canā€™t wait! :grin:

5 Likes

Oooooooh, I likey!

2 Likes

Practice 8 Minutes to Inner Peace with my friend Catherine Carrigan. We recorded this tonight.

5 Likes

I like to have some fun on the desktop with GIMP and Apophysis. Makes for very abstract sorts of composition, but very painterly (or ā€œetching-lyā€ at times).

Vergangenes III

9 Likes

That is supremely cool.

4 Likes

Thank you. You can cover a surprising distance with those two tools alone, for instance,

ā€œComposition IIā€. (Call it abstract realism or realistic abstraction.) Similarly

ā€œYucatĆ”nā€

But other directions are possible (again, with just these two tools):

ā€œEn noir et blancā€.

ā€œNight Fallsā€.

ā€œQuadrature IIā€.

12 Likes

Wow!

5 Likes

Thank you.

4 Likes

I love the definition of this word:

aĀ·pophĀ·yĀ·sis

a natural protuberance from a bone, or inside the shell or exoskeleton of a sea urchin or insect, for the attachment of muscles.

• Botany
    a swelling at the base of the sporangium in some mosses.
  • Geology
    a small offshoot extending from an igneous intrusion into the surrounding rock
5 Likes

Interesting name for a fractal flame program, eh?

2 Likes

Indeed!

1 Like