Whatchya Workin' On, O Creatives?

It’s released and being shipped now :smile: And I’m switching a few other things around too. I got a Make Noise Mysteron in trade for ye olde Rampage and I love it, but Mangrove didn’t keep me thrilled for long and rather than replacing it with another sound source I’m picking up a couple of oddball utilities. I feel like I might be on the final stage of swapping things around though.

Meanwhile here’s the lastest thing I did with it. The main voices here are Hertz Donut, Cloud Terrarium, and Mysteron, and there’s some drones and background stuff from Thorn (a new software synth) and Microbrute.

And from a few days ago, something much more abstract, using a bunch of modules that normally create control signals rather than audio. So there are clicks from sudden changes in control signals, quantization errors in digital modules amplified until they’re audible, and some weird interactions I never expected. I find it oddly peaceful though, like being in a rainforest.

(Maybe someday I will get around to making visualizations or actual video for my music, but I mostly just use YouTube as a less annoying SoundCloud.)

5 Likes

Their Voices, Raised is pretty neat.

I’m pretty sure you’ve independently hit upon a technique used by one of my favorite bands, Tortoise, but I never knew what it actually was until you explained it just now. I can’t seem to find the part that your song made me think of but I think this bit is similar? Check it out:

the whole track is really long but I think there’s some layers like yours throughout

1 Like

Hard to say… there are a lot of techniques that can get into that sort of territory.

2 Likes

Those are both really cool.

Their Voices, Raised reminds me of a piece I did, OMG, 41 years ago, in a university electronic music course. It also uses noise as a main element, controlled by a PDP minicomputer. Two Moog System 15 and an early Buchla. I figured, what the hell, share it with the world.

4 Likes

Oh I fucking love this!

2 Likes

Thank you!

Keeping my hand in…

8 Likes

Very cool!

2 Likes

Thank you.

THREAD NECRO!

I drawed recently;

A Rincewind!

A HarmonQuest!

Dat’s all.

12 Likes

I love these!

3 Likes

You should!

You alllllll should!

4 Likes

a comic memoir

13 Likes

Anudder memoir drawering;

https://bbs.elsewhere.cafe/uploads/default/original/2X/4/453304fcd17b12c2ed2660883d32cdb6d76bf3a6.png

8 Likes

Is engineering allowed to be creative?

This is going to be a coracle (a tiny flatbottomed fishing boat, bed for scale). The woods are mahogany, ash, fir and bamboo. The design has been a little complicated (there’s a cubic term in the equation for the shape of the planking that will fill in the holes). I’ve only been able to do it because of access to some serious tooling (and advice) at our local makery. Unlike a conventional coracle it’s fully planked to make it child safe. The shape of the seat (which is still in its rough state) is influenced by a Torii gate.
Sink or swim time is scheduled for June 2018.

Edit - update mid Jan. A milestone has been reached - the planks are half on. If this seems slow, understand that each one needs about ten clamps to align it and the glue takes hours to set. I’m managing about one plank 5 days a week. Only 8 weeks to go. And the drive needs resurfacing, I note.

18 Likes

7 Likes

yes!:bulb::canoe::wine_glass:

7 Likes

Speaking as an engineer, it shouldn’t be allowed to not be creative.

9 Likes

How else do yi expect ta get ta reputation of a miracle worker, laddy?

12 Likes

Since the incomprehensible mess that is W10, I’ve rather lost my reputation in that area. My advice is now limited to “Reinstall from the original disk using a new SSD. What, you haven’t got the original disk?”

4 Likes